Who hauls hot mix asphalt with a quad or bigger?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by c_houchins8_182, Aug 15, 2013.

1. c_houchins8_182

c_houchins8_182 Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Contemplating buying a truck when I get home from my current deployment with the AF reserve. Always been around heavy equipment, and currently working at a stone quarry with an asphalt plant attached to it. Always seeing the trucks going in and out of the asphalt plant. Talked to the big local broker and they said they are paying 65 an hour for a quad and goes up from there. Just throwing some numbers around on whether I want to partake in this when I get home and if it would be worth my time. Quarry is a good job but I have always wanted to be my own boss and thought this would be a good way to do it and I've always been in the industry so I figure why not. So I guess how does 65 an hour sound? Seems low from the research I have done. What kind of time do you spend traveling vs waiting to get loaded? Anything else special I should know? Thank you in advance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. precisionpower

precisionpower Light Load Member

Sep 8, 2011
    oshkosh wi
    $65 an hour for a quad is too cheap. It is over $80 around here. Also, The asphalt plants have a "list"
    If your on the bottom side of the "list" you more than likely wont have steady work.

Unless no one wants to haul for them @ $65 an hour

4. BigPerm

BigPerm Medium Load Member

Don't know what a "quad"is...but Reno is getting $85/hr for semi belly/end dump....& $105/hr for a "train'...ie; 1-38-40' belly with a 28' rear pup.

@ 129K w/9-axles...119K @ 7-axles.

FYI: New "Open-Grade" hot-mix w/ rubber & cellulose is NASTY ####. It will stick to a vertical surface......& a lot of DOT work is that item. Good for customer.....beatch for driver.

Good luck

Caterpillar Cowboy Thanks this.
  5. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    im guessing by quad he means a 4 axle straight dump truck. agreed its low. the lowest i ever get is 90 an hour with a belly and been all the way up to 160 an hour on a good tonnage job. average is sitting around 110 an hour at the moment.

6. c_houchins8_182

c_houchins8_182 Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Yes, sorry for confusion. All th paving done around my area in Ohio is done with straight trucks.

7. precisionpower

precisionpower Light Load Member

Sep 8, 2011
    oshkosh wi
    I'd call around to other patch plants and places that use quads and see what the going rate is

8. thirdreef

thirdreef Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Reno,Nv
    If your working In a quarry.. STAY THERE!!! Asphalt is seasonal depending on where you live as they aren't supposed to lay asphalt less than 70 degrees.. 65 an hour will pay for fuel but not much more. You should get at least 80 plus an hour.. Plus if you don't really know what's happening with knowing what to do, you will dump one load and get signed off and you go home. Is it hard? No.. But don't shut that paving crew down.. Like I said if your working in a quarry STAY THERE... You'll take home more money at the end of the year and have some benefits..

9. BigPerm

BigPerm Medium Load Member

Not only that....but most all aggregate comes right out....will maybe be playing with a shovel scraping out cold mix after it cools. ( NOthin' a little diesel won't fix..! )

10. thirdreef

Jul 8, 2013
    Reno,Nv
    And then there's the time the whole load sets up inside a trailer.. OHHH boy!! You don't know what fun is!!

11. thirdreef

Jul 8, 2013
    Reno,Nv
    BIGPERM:
    We don't see them here.. Out east a couple of chemical companies ran them into the mines. But some states allow them for more weight. It's a trailer with 4 axles..places like Iowa allow 20,000 per axle so they can get 80,000 on the trailer axles.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.