Who is responsible?!!!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by missjhawk, Feb 15, 2019.

1. missjhawk

missjhawk Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2013
    nutbush
    I have a Cummins isx 450st in my truck
    I put my truck in dealership for oil cooler replacement I had 4 codes they say but last code was for need a regen they claim that 10min into Regen it threw code for vgt actuator while testing the actuator they claim some rod as long as my finger was sticking now they say I need to pay them $6000 more for a turbo when mine was fine before I put it in the shop then they went on to say that they took off manifold the mechanic claim that something was wet inside engine and it was normal for a engine with 513000mi on it good thing they said where manifold holes was it had no oil/water only soot the dealer says it's getting time to overhaul then they asked what oil I use I and how often do I change oil I said 10 rotella t4 and 2 Lucas every 25000 or less they asking me all this extra stuff except for explaining how I come in just for a oil cooler now I have a blown turbo then u want to rebuild a engine that's not smoking or tapping then when I asked they said they will help me with labor on turbo and not charging me for storage if I pay for parts I'm mad and confused I been down for 2wks I had to swallow pride went back as a company driver till I can get mine fixed then the company I'm working for now say they will go get my truck from peterbuilt take it to their dealer so I can fix it is that dealer on hook for my turbo?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I have had more than just a handful of good mechanics that strongly recommend AGAINST Lucas. My primary mechanic has a prominent sign posted in the driver's lounge stating that Lucas in the oil will cancel any warranty from his shop.

It sounds to me like your turbo actuator is the culprit. That can be repaired by a competent mechanic for less than $200 if they know what they are doing. Perhaps clean out the actuator and adjust it.

You didn't say what year your engine was, but I would guess it's an EGR system without DPF or use of DEF? Please let us know.

shatteredsquare Thanks this.
  4. missjhawk

Jul 24, 2013
    nutbush

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Was it a turbo actuator they are saying is the culprit?

6. missjhawk

Jul 24, 2013
    nutbush
    They told me when it was doing Regen it kicked out and the code it had was vgt actuator now my truck want run at all like when a the roter on a old school distributor goes out it will turn over but if it do start it will only run for few seconds and cut off I told them to stop before they mess something else up

7. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    if you are not using oil then what is,a rebuild going to accomplish unless you have it on a dyno and way down on power, the dealer is either dishonest or dont know what he is doing either isn't very good

8. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    The dealer will not be responsible for the failed turbo actuator, it could have happened at any time. It sucks but is just a coincidence it failed while they were doing a forced regen. The process of a forced regen requires the engine to run at a high rpm to create enough heat to burn the soot out of the DPF. This is factory set parameters and nothing the dealer did would have caused the failure.

The variable geometry turbo is complex but is repairable, however most dealers will only swap an entire unit rather than fix the individual failure. This sucks for owners on a tight budget and is one reason I avoided dealers as much as possible.

Sorry for your trouble, welcome to truck ownership. Unfortunately, you as the truck owner are responsible for the repair costs, although if they started diagnosing things without your permission you may be able to get out of part of the tear down and other charges, at least in some states. Here in Pennsylvania a shop must have a signed work order and provide a written estimate before they do anything or you are not liable for the associated charges.

Tombstone69 and Opus Thank this.
  9. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    That is a common problem with those motors, apparently the EGR housings leak coolant into the intake through that tube you mentioned, but 6k for a turbo, I hope it was gold plated. Get a 2nd opinion, it sounds like they're trying to take advantage.Like brian991929 said they probably aren't responsible, but your working for a good company if they're willing to have their mechanic look it over, once you get it back to the shop ask the mechanic to give you the skinny, for future reference. I hate to say it and I know you don't want to hear it, 1/2 mil you might need an inframe especially if you have moisture in the cylinders. Definitely talk to someone you trust.One more thing, to know for sure what is going on with your motor, have an oil analysis done, it's simple and inexpensive and it will give you a good idea of any problems.Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    Reason for edit: Add-on
    brian991219 Thanks this.
  10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Sounds fishy to Me. I would read the fine print in the work order you signed, and check auto repair laws in the state. I’d suspect there’s a bunch of Cummins engines that would benefit from an OH. I doubt you need one. I can see turbo coincidence, but otherwise it just doesn’t make sense. Get the Truck to a trusted shop with your not their interests in mind. Good Luck,

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I have a problem with all of this.

Turbo this turbo that turbo something else. What does it matter to this shop if this, that, these are broken? Whistle up a new part quickly, let's get it installed we are all late already.

Tombstone69 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.