Who knows about “REAL” Internationals?

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by mile marker 27, Dec 15, 2019.

1. mile marker 27

mile marker 27 Road Train Member

Dec 4, 2019
    D5DA4EEF-45D1-47AD-BDE8-23670BE58F36.jpeg ‘77 4070B, 290 SC Cummins, 13 speed and 330K original miles. Wanted to rescue one of these before they’re all gone. Love this truck. Other than the usual hate mail( rides rough and pita to get in and out of) do any of you guys got any advice.

bzinger, Hulld, Mike2633 and 1 other person Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I drove a 73 model in truckschool

Keep an eye on the drag link down below. And write on your heart those cab locks back there need to be engaged.

A winterfront for winter is something you need to look into. It gets cold up there by your knees. And your engine can use a little love in that way to keep it's temperatures up.

You are going to constantly check those hubs, 5th wheel adjustment if there is one and suspension hangers etc. Maybe a little more than most tractors today. You will never be satisfied with a once weekly pretrip. These older iron will know when you are not keeping a eye on it and develop something somewhere.

If your airhorn does not have front covers, get them installed. Otherwise they will choke and fillup with snow, ice and whatever else.

I have no desire to drive one again. Ive already got it welded into my spine as it is.

You are probably running air fed wipers. You will find the rotating metal knobs for them as a pair near your brake buttons. (If you have two buttons, great. if you have three, then one is the supply only for the trailer. Separate from the other two.)

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i drove a transtar or 2 back in the day, as well as whatever freightliner called thiers.

if you are going to restore this, you may have a tough time getting "some parts" like body parts. the junkyards that have some of these old relics are drying up with parts that are in demand.

so can you fabricate your own metal?

you can go in at least 2 directions in this truck..

1) full blown factory restore

2) modified restored.

if your intent is to restore and sell, the full blown factory restore will garner you more cash.

the modified restore, the world is your palette. according to your wallet as well

good luck, check sites that have parts availability, even up to and including IH themselves.

5. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    The Transtar was a good, solid, very popular, and affordable OTR truck back in the day. Heck, they were everywhere once upon a time. The 290 Cummins was also real common then, as was its cousin the screamin jimmy. Only the 290 didn't hemorrhage oil like the Detroit. Does this one have P/S, A/C and air seat? Many didn't from that era.

How did this one get this far in time with only 330k miles? Check it out real good, should be worth something down the road if it's in good shape, good luck

bzinger Thanks this.
  6. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Where do you live?
    Stored inside or outside?

7. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    The last time I was in and out of one of those, I was in my late teens/ early twenties. I'd get in on the driver's side and jump out the passenger side, holding onto the grab handle

8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Didn't we see this not too long ago?

mile marker 27 Thanks this.
  9. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Great truck!
    I drove one with a 350 Cummins and a 13 speed pulling cows back in the day.
    I honestly don’t remember anything negative about that truck...

bzinger and mile marker 27 Thank this.
  10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Yeah, memory has a habit of fading, I drove one ( for a month) with a shiny 290( 300) and a 13, 4:11 gears. I hate cabovers with a passion, but it actually was a decent truck. Reyco rode awful, but that truck would do 65 down or up, loaded or empty. And get around good too. These had a nasty blind spot on the right side, and why many of the right side fuel tanks were creased. You could always tell a driver that wasn't used to a cabover, their right wheels would be running down the shoulder. Pumpkin made a killing with these, their 1st real popular OTR truck. Remember the funky greasing system they had on these?

bzinger and Hulld Thank this.
  11. mile marker 27

mile marker 27 Road Train Member

Dec 4, 2019
    I can fabricate to a certain degree. I’m gonna put it on a hopper bottom and end dump trailer. Mostly farm use. Not gonna do a lot to the paint. Probably touch it up a little and clear over it. I like the “used” look.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.