Who makes the best engine for 2008 and beyond?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by kenwortht660, May 18, 2008.

1. kenwortht660

kenwortht660 Bobtail Member

May 8, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Could you describe your experience if you are driving a new truck with one of the following motor make:

Cummins ISX
    Cat
    Detroit DD15
    MaxxForce

If you could let us know if you had encountered any problems, such as loud engine noise, problem starting, bad gas mileage, serviceability, etc...

For instance, I've heard that the new cummins ISX are good but they have problems with their EGR valves.

I think this would be very helpful for many of those, such as myself, that are looking to buy a new truck or planning to rebuild their engines.

Please feel free to chime in too even if you do not have one of these motors in your truck but hear stories about them in the industry.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    they all have egr problems from what I hear.

And after 2010 cat is getting out of the heavy truck engine market so you won't be able to get one

4. Highballin

Highballin Road Train Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Cleveland Texas
    After 2010 we might not need a truck.Read where the railroad is talking about how much they can haul and use less fuel.I guess they are talking about long hauls They would have a hard time backing up to some docks:yes2557:Going to be lots of people upset because R.R.does not load or unload doesnt pay lumpers.:yes2557:

5. 550hpW900L

550hpW900L Road Train Member

Jan 29, 2008
    norcal
    I wouldnt buy a new engine, i would buy a 389 glider stick a C-16 CAT in it and stay they hell out of californiastan.

6. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Heh, I wish I could convince my wife to move out of californiastan:yes2557:

7. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    they have always said that but yet the railroad still is but a shell of what it used to be. Railroad can not replace trucks. Granted I see them taking allot more of our freight but they can't replace us. I don't think you'd want to buy produce after it sat on a train for 3 weeks. and I doubt people would much care for a set of railroad tracks down the center of every street in america to do deliveries

8. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    you could always upgrade the wife!! :biggrin_2551:

ah, just don't show her I said that:biggrin_25516:

9. Highballin

Highballin Road Train Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Cleveland Texas
    Your right there but the article also said the R.R.might be trying to get help from our goverment to update their rails bridges locamotives and so fourth by telling them this.And you know the Gooberment they will probaly do it.I have seen a lot of locamotives smoking like they was buning pine knots too.Its true they haul more frieght per gal.og fuel it on their on road or tracks.But like you said they take their sweet time about it.

10. KYSkipper

KYSkipper Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2008
    Corbin, KY
    I wondered what all this new BS was doing to the big truck engines. I know on the pickup diesels, it's going to fast become a thing of the past to own one with a diesel if they don't come up with something reliable that doesn't cost a blue gum fortune to repair.

I bought my Dodge in December of 07, so it still has the old 5.9 Cummins. A buddy of mine bought one after December and has the new 6.7 or whatever it is Cummins. Just looking at the 2 engines, you can't see his for the hoses, wires, plastic doo hickeys and covers on it. Mine, it's pretty clean up and down both sides of it. About all you can get to without a box full of tools on his is the oil cap and dipstick.

At 30,000 miles he started having trouble with his particulate filter. Somehow a daily 160 mile round trip commute on the interstate isn't enough to keep the soot cleaned out of it. That thing is almost $2000 when it has to be replaced. Dodge says it should last 100,000 miles, we'll see, it doesn't appear it will in his.

I went through that BS with Ford's 6.0 diesel. This area is pretty much or at least was pretty much Ford country until the stunts they pulled with a lot of people over those engines. I know a buddy of mine had pretty much the same round robin of problems with his F450 welding rig that I had with mine. They'd be in the shop a week to a week and a half every dadgum month. Unacceptable for me having to move my tools over to my 10 year old backup truck aka the Farm truck with no ac in it. Worse for him, the welders, air and such are fixtures of his truck and it's a major job to move them. Ford left my truck in my driveway for nearly 3 months. They kept his in the shop for 90 days consecutive. On the 50 something day, he sent a crew of men with a crane and a new Chevrolet 4500 Chassis to the Ford dealership. They picked the welding rig and bed off the F450 and fixed it onto the new Chevy chassis in the parking lot at the Ford dealer. Ford finally patched that one back together and stuck him with it. The new Chevy lasted about 2 months before it blew a head gasket. They say these new engines aren't supposed to idle and can't without damaging themselves. How are they supposed to run a welding rig? I know every time mine was in the dealership had 1 or 2 of the county's 6 ambulances in for similar problems to what mine had.

Ford's new engine isn't any better from what I hear. Anybody that would design one that requries the cab to be removed to get to it to work on it ought to be shot. That's 6 to 8 hours of work that doesn't involve fixing the engine, just getting to it. Of course, someone will have to pay for that at $60 to $70 an hour.

It may get to the point that a man has to have 3 trucks to have one running. 1 working, 1 in the shop and 1 waiting on an appointment or parts.

Cleaning up the environment is one thing, but making stuff so that it's not reliable, cost prohibitive to maintain and repair, or not able to perform the job expected from it isn't productive at all.

Skipper

11. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

Well I hardly hear much good about Cats. I havent heard much about the ISX engines either...hear lots of good about Detroits and the DD15 and sounds like people are looking forward to the dd16 (I think thats the one coming out next).
    Mack just spit out a new engine although Im not sure what its designed for...but it meets the CA EPA or whatever regulations, meaning you can idle the truck as long as you want.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.