Who requires log books?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Nothereoften, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Nothereoften

Nothereoften Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2018
    I am working for a construction company, once in a blue moon we take a truck past the distance from office limit. I know those days require a log book. Will we be required to have elogs?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You keep paper logs.

I am not Provincial anything and am just a Johnny sprouting about things I don't know about here in the deep south.

IF you have no ELD because you generally stay with a limited Airmiles to and from your office trailer and once in a blue moon run out past that line then carry paper logs with you.

I spoke with another here on TTR with the idea of running ELD on a laptop and think it may or may not be a good workaround. It's something we have to look into. But I know darned well that you need that Paper logbook and your hours worked the last 8 days.

Nothereoften Thanks this.
  4. Summitteer

Summitteer Bobtail Member

Sep 14, 2015
    I'm in a similar boat as you. Since you posted this in the Canadian forum, I'll answer as the CVSE explained it to me last week in BC. You dont need previous days logs or even pretrip inspections when leaving your 160km radius. You just need some way of showing your hrs worked. Filling out the little section at the bottom of the log page that keeps your running total of hrs is good. I took a picture of my last 2 weeks schedule. Stopped by a scale and told them I was headed out of town. I was told that's just fine.

magoo68 Thanks this.
  5. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Your payroll dept should be able to print you out a sheet with your previous six days hours.

6. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Until Elogs are made mandatory nobody can really answer your question..

7. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    So far, ELDs will only be required by carriers operating under a federal safety fitness certificate (June 12, 2021). I would expect the provinces to follow suit and adopt the federal rules with adjustments for provincial HOS rules for carriers operating under provincial certificates (some may already have a regulatory framework in place).

The only currently proposed ELD exemptions are:
    • commercial motor vehicles that are being operated under a permit issued pursuant to the Regulations by a provincial or territorial HOS director
    • commercial motor vehicles that are being operated under a statutory exemption (eg., short-haul exemption)
    • commercial motor vehicles that are subject to rental agreements for a term of 30 days or less
    • commercial motor vehicles that were manufactured before the year 2000
    - Canada Gazette – Regulations Amending the Commercial Vehicle Drivers Hours of Service Regulations (Electronic Logging Devices and Other Amendments)

For federally regulated carriers; drivers operating under the "short-haul" exemption (within 160 km radius of their home terminal) will be exempt from ELDs, but if the vehicles exceed that distance they will have to be ELD equipped and the drivers would be required to log-in.

Technical Standard for Electronic Logging Devices
    3. DEFINITIONS AND NOTATIONS
    3.1.3 Exempt Driver
    As specified in further detail in section 4.3.3.1.2 of this Standard, an ELD must allow a motor carrier to configure an ELD for a driver who may be exempt from the use of the ELD. An example of an exempt driver would be a driver operating under the short-haul exemption under current HOS regulations (within a radius of 160 km of the home terminal). Even though exempt drivers do not have to use an ELD, in operations when an ELD equipped CMV may be shared between exempt and non-exempt drivers, motor carriers can use this allowed configuration to avoid issues with unidentified driver data diagnostics errors.​

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  8. Nothereoften

Oct 6, 2018
    I currently carry no log book except the days i need it, once since March. I know people who have elog on the phone, my underwtanding though is it must be hardwired to the truck and you must be able to provide a physical copy. I know the long haul rules, not how the short haul odd long haul day worka

9. not4hire

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Under current Canadian rules, to qualify as an ELD the device does not have to be hardwired, but it does have to track when it connects/disconnects (rule 83(e): Commercial Vehicle Drivers Hours of Service Regulations). If it does not track this information then it can only be a digital log book.

If it is only a digital log book then you must be able to provide a physical copy if asked, just the same as you would with regular paper log books. If it is a qualifying ELD, then you can provide the information as a digital display, print out, handwritten form, or other intelligible display, or any combination thereof (Rule 83(b)). Regardless of the foregoing, you must also be able to produce handwritten logs if requested (Rule 83(d)).

Also, I would recommend ignoring any of the posts by the contributor you quoted except for entertainment value.

magoo68 Thanks this.
  10. Nothereoften

Oct 6, 2018
    I am using everything here as a guideline. I am hoping some one is my companies exact position. We are not even a carrier, just have trucks, mainly tandem dumps, and generally not hauling "freight" hauling our own "materials and equipment ".

11. not4hire

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    That's why I post the rules and links to same, so you can use them and refer to them. Your company is a carrier, it's just a term used to describe any such company in the industry.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.