Who runs a mechanical truck?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Thorxr10, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Thorxr10

Thorxr10 Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Are you as worried as I am about the elog mandate that Congress is now trying to get fmcsa to fast forward, fmcsa States it must be tied into your trucks ECU. Not possible for me and my truck is in excellent shape. I know people say they'll have to accommodate older truck but I keep up with this and there has been no talk what so ever about older trucks not being able to tie the unit in.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Stormdriven

Stormdriven Medium Load Member

Mar 11, 2014
    south, central, US.
    I thought OOIDA sued & got the "mandate" vacated".

4. maggard359

maggard359 Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Florida
    I am sure they will have a very expensive alternative device for the mechanicals. It will be just like the retrofit kits for emissions.

5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Try and keep the "old horse" as long as possible. If I was looking for a truck again, I wouldn't even look at a newer truck. I think older trucks comprise a small amount of the trucks out there, and hopefully would be grandfathered, kind of like classic cars. It would be my way of thumbing my nose at new regulations. Probably wouldn't be able to get away with it for much longer, though, as they probably will require all trucks to have some sort of electronic gizmo, just to be registered.

Thorxr10 Thanks this.
  6. Thorxr10

Aug 28, 2012
    I already have a pre pass that's all the Info they need when rolling over a scale

blacklabel Thanks this.
  7. stadingfarms

stadingfarms Bobtail Member

May 5, 2014
    il
    I run an older mechanical truck not worried about it at all. I think they'll have to figure something out to not put people out of business. My father in law runs one too he isn't worried either

8. Thorxr10

Aug 28, 2012
    Do you keep up with the politics of it, it makes me nervous and I'm afraid a lot of the guys in mechanical trucks are thinking the same way, like you said. And if it gets left out because too many of us sit back and hope they add it into the law, then what?

9. kcstrucking

kcstrucking Bobtail Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Probably be a while. The new mandate will come out. They will get sued. Come up with a new law a few years later and so on until it finally gets through. I know part of the current one is you have to have a log book handy in case the electronic log stops working. Probably work for mechanical trucks. But by then they will probably just have a tracking chip they implant in all drivers so they can track them 24/7 they don't seem to be worried much about the trucks. Just kidding.

Thorxr10 Thanks this.
  10. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I'm more worried Kenyan in Chief will wake up one morning and have his EPA bullies outlaw older trucks and I'll be out of business.

I can always throw a ECM in my mechanical truck to plug a ELD into. The ECM just won't be hooked up to the engine, only the batteries.

"Hey save me an Obamma phone and a food stamp card please!"

JPenn and Thorxr10 Thank this.
  11. stadingfarms

stadingfarms Bobtail Member

May 5, 2014
    il
    Actually there already was something out for a mechanical truck the original cadac system would function without an ecm. You had to install a tone wheel on the output shaft of the transmission. It would record your logs and vehicle locations but you had a tape that recorded everything that required a special reader to play. Instead of instant like most are today

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.