Who To Start With

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by 66 Olznut, Dec 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 66 Olznut

66 Olznut Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2006
    Canyon Country, Ca
    Hello folks, I live in the So Cal area and want to hit the road. Does anyone know who I should start with? I used to drive :Tow truck: and have always wanted to drive, just don't know where to start. I have a perfect record, no family and no life. Thanks in advance!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Maverick

Maverick Light Load Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Florida
    Speaking from experience, go to a trucking school and hire on with one of the companies the school works with, Werner, Covenant, Swift etc. until you get some recent experience. It is a rough way to go, but insurance companies require experience in the last year or a certificate from a school. You will have to ride with a trainer for 6-8 weeks, depending on how fast you learn and impress the trainer.
    I have heard that there are companies that will hire you without the above, but have yet to find one.
    Oh ya, one more thing to brighten your day, driving schools run from $4-$6,000.00 around here.
    You didn't say, but I am assuming you don't have a CDL/A and haven't driven for awhile.

Maverick:biggrin_2552:

RECON08 Thanks this.
  4. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Industry is a bit rough right now. Companies are implementing hiring freezes right now, some are temporarily shutting down their schools, not hiring drivers to put into empty trucks, etc. Look long and hard before taking the leap right now!

RECON08 Thanks this.
  5. Waterloo

Waterloo Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Grass Lake, MI
    Do a little bit more research and then get back to us. Times are tight out here, most companies are on a hiring freeze. Would you rather starve at home or in some truck stop? And yes, for many out here, it is that bad.

Mike

RECON08 Thanks this.
  6. Harold Pittman

Harold Pittman Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2008
    nj
    Maverick said right..you should follow him..

7. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Go read some of the threads on here and then recheck your statement.

Many of the large companies have hiring freezes in effect right now. Some of the companies that HAD schools have closed them. Werner puts a new driver through training and then they sit at home with no truck. Drivers are getting miles that barely pay the bills if they do at all.

Now is not the time to be trying to get into the trucking industry.

RECON08 Thanks this.
  8. thatguy

thatguy Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Barton at
    Times are very tough right now and there are alot of companies big and small that are doing the hiring freeze thing right now. Good luck

9. Passin Thru

Passin Thru Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2007
    VA
    Schneider tanks, train in SC, run like heck or Schneider dryvans. Good benefits.

Papa T Thanks this.
  10. Panhandle flash

Panhandle flash Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Oklahoma City
    and when the economy picks up, look at community colleges and vo techs for training. I went to a votech and it was better training at about a third of the price.

11. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Schneider is no longer taking any students. Their instructors have the choice of going back on the road or finding another job, their schools are closed, and they are hiring experienced drivers only.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.