Who to work for...need advice

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by truckin916, Sep 16, 2007.

1. truckin916

truckin916 Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Wild Wild West
    Hey all,
    I'm taking my CDL driving tests in 4 days and really need to pick an employer so I can get to work right away.
    Right now I'm pre-hired with Werner, Stevens and US Xpress. Who would you choose if those were your choices?

I do have a family so Stevens is my least desirable since you are on the road 4-5 weeks at a time. Werner has a bad rep but I supposed I could live with anyone for 6-12 months to get the experience I need to work for a better company. US Express seems like the better of the three but I'm not to keen on the idea of driving an auto-shift.

I've driven manual transmissions all my life and have had NO issues learning to drive a manual shift big-rig. Do you think I'd have trouble getting on with manual shift companies if I put my initial time in with USX? I'd have no problem proving to them I'm capable of doing my job....

Oh I could probably get on with CFI too, I'm not pre-hired but the recruiter said my application looks great and for me to call him when I have my CDL in hand to setup an orientation date.

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks...

Truckin916

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    Out of that list I would try for CFI.
    That is just me though. I cannot get past the electronic log thing with Werner. I was talking to one of there new drivers a while back. He was not trained well in Routing and doing proper paperwork. He had been solo with them for several weeks, and had allready gotten several log violations from the company.

Some ppl love them some dont. I have heard things about the others too. CFI is now owned by Con way, but I dont think that it has filtered down to giving the drivers issues at this point.

4. truckin916

Sep 7, 2007
    Wild Wild West
    Thanks for your input Chrome. I don't like the idea of electronic logs either. It has the 'sound' of being nice since you wouldn't have to take the time to do a paper log but I can foresee headaches galore with that system.
    I'll probably be calling CFI this week, they pay trainees well granted you get miles and I can deal with anyone I think for a year....

5. Road Dog

Road Dog Medium Load Member

Aug 1, 2006
    None of your pre hire cos.have any good reports here.I am retired now for the 3rd time,and I just finished up a stint with Roehl Transport.I would reccomend them to anyone. Just starting out you are gonna have a lot to learn,and the Roehl management people seem to work with you and not against you. Schneider is another co.that seems to be very good for new drivers.

6. ARROWRULES

ARROWRULES Bobtail Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Kingman, AZ
    IF YOU CHOSE USX YOU MIGHT HAVE TO GO BACK WITH A TRAINER IF YOU CHANGE COMPANIES YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK USA TRUCKS THEY WILL HELP PAY FOR YOUR SCHOOL LOANS AND THEY HAVE MANUAL TRANIES AND ITS A GOOD STARTER COMPANY AND THEY WILL KEEP YOU OUT THE SNOW FOR THE FIRST 2 MONTHS OR AT LEAST THEY DID MY FRIEND AND HE LIKED IT SO ITS JUST A IDEA....

7. truckin916

Sep 7, 2007
    Wild Wild West
    Roehl was one of the first I looked into but are not hiring out of my area. :biggrin_2553:

I did talk to a Schneider recruiter and think I may go with them, they offered a West Coast Regional position and their pay scale is increasing on 9/30/07!! Only thing I didn't like is that they pay household guide mileage....does that make that big of a difference?

8. truckin916

Sep 7, 2007
    Wild Wild West
    Yea I scratched USX off my list officially. Don't like several things about them and I think Schneider national is probably a better choice at this point since they are W Regional and just raised their payscale.

9. Road Dog

Road Dog Medium Load Member

Aug 1, 2006
    truckin916,yeah the difference between the Household Movers Guide miles and practical miles is quite a bit.Roehl does pay practical miles,and I am not aware of who else does. A very good point.

10. sal

sal Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2007
    sacramento Ca
    916......Interstate and Gordon will get you plenty of home time . Haven't herd much negative about either one. All the drivers I've talked to are happy with them miles/home time ect. And thanks for that Info. on Western School I've scratched them off my list.

11. B-rad

B-rad Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Eugene, OR

Interstate and Gordon do a lot of I-5 corridor runs from Washington to California. As Sal stated they are both very good companies with nice equipment.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.