Who uses uber/lift ?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by scott180, Oct 19, 2019.

1. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Better double check your math, Lyft has raised rider prices in all markets, while keeping driver pay the same, they also have blocked the per trip transparency in most markets, I know several drivers who have calculated it to be closer to Lyft taking 60% of the share on 75% of the rides.

That doesn't translate into better pay for you, unless they are tipping.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Snakeschasingcars

Snakeschasingcars Heavy Load Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Last time I used a uber. My flight to Houston where I had a connecting flight got grounded in san Antonio. Houston was flooded. Sat 6 hrs on the tarmac in san Antonio. Finally got off the plane grabbed a uber to the bus station. But we ended up having him turn his uber logs off and he just drove me to Laredo and I paid him in cash. Paid for the gas as a tip. So he got all the money and uber got non.

smokey12 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  4. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    It depends on the area where you drive as to how much your cut is. I haven't driven in a few weeks but that's what my take home was last I checked. I agree with you, the pay could certainly be better..I only do it when its convenient for me. In my area it's just good for extra cash and busy times are very hit and miss..

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  5. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    Yea just saw your post..lots of good info. You are obviously deeper into it than me. I like the convenience of it..just turn on the app and go whenever I want. I rarely do it more than 3 to 4 hours at a time..just a side hustle and a tax write off for me..Most I made was around 20 and hour, the least....less than minimum wage! I bail quick when its slow.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  6. striker

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Days like today are when I like it, 7 hrs, $350, $46 in gas, non-stop busy, I could have put in a full 14 hr day it's so busy, but I got tired of human contact, not to mention my "suspension" was hurting, in 7 hrs, I only got out of the drivers seat 3 times to load/unload luggage. Depending on the weather, I don't have to be in the semi till 8 am on Monday, so I'll probably pull another 3 hours on Monday morning.

FlaSwampRat and JonJon78 Thank this.
  7. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Get some decent tips today? How does it work with Uber if your pickup/delivery location that comes across your app is going to a bad area of town you dont want to drive? You just dont accept it? Do they frown on that type of stuff? I'm not really familiar with Denver but all major cities have those area's....

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  8. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    So reading your posts, you know your costs very well. My wife is wanting to go back to work, Ive been wondering if putting her in a newer SUV and having her run Uber/Lyft "full time". She needs to clear enough to make it worthwhile after a vehicle payment and daycare for my son.

I dont know any #'s for uber/lyft like I do for trucking. Id like to see if its actually profitable for her before even seeing if she's interested. A good paycheck would help a lot to help convince her it'd be worthwhile.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  9. striker

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Actually, I only had 3 tips, but I had a bunch of personal power zones, which is Lyft's modified version of a surge.

So, this is a difference between Uber and Lyft. All pickups more than 10 minutes away, Uber pays a small amount per mile/minute for the pickup, Lyft does not. As a result, on Lyft I generally refuse any pickup more than 15 minutes away, it's simply not worth it. Within the Denver area itself, I will accept all trips, as there are not "bad areas" where I would feel unsafe, I do however keep my head on a swivel on pickups no matter what part of town. In the suburbs, I will unlock my doors as soon as I see my rider heading towards the vehicle, if they have luggage, I get out to load, too many people have almost broken my topper or tailgate, not to mention my tailgate is quite heavy. When I'm in downtown Denver proper, or the immediate areas, I do not unlock my doors until the rider is within a few feet, if they have luggage, then I'll get out to help. I don't allow any luggage inside the vehicle, except soft bags, too much of a safety risk in an accident.

There are outside areas of Denver I will not go for pickups, Boulder and Brighton. Boulder, simply because I hate Boulder. Brighton, I will not do a pickup unless I call ahead to find out the destination. The majority of Brighton rides are $4.00 minimum fare, across town trips, that I have to drive 15 minutes to make the pickup.

In any case, drivers can refuse any pickup they want, for any reason, but they hold it against you, which lowers you acceptance rate, and eventually stops you from receiving other perks.

FlaSwampRat and JonJon78 Thank this.
  10. striker

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    It very much depends on your area, unless you wife plans to do a full platform, all vehicle classes, I would not buy a new vehicle for this, if your doing it full time, the miles rack up fast, not to mention, if she hates it, you cold be stuck with a huge car payment. Your profile says San Antonio, so you have most all vehicle classes on both Uber and Lyft. If you can do it, I'd get the newest, lowest miles, most options Chrysler Town and Country as cheaply as possible. This will qualify for Uber X/Comfort/XL as well as all the Lyft platforms. You'll want a 2017 or newer, as they phase out years every so often. Truthfully, if you can buy a vehicle that qualifies for XL on Uber and Lyft, then you'll make the most money. One thing to keep in mind, there is very much a bait and switch with these companies, example, the current new driver promo in San Antonio is $1025 guaranteed earning for 150 trips, I believe in 30 days. If you are only doing this part time, that number of rides can be hard to hit depending on the hours worked. I only do Saturday and Sunday, in a month I can typically do 100 to 110 rides, back when Lyft had really nice rewards promo's that I actually cared about, I would push a little harder and do 130 rides per month so as to stay above the threshold for those rewards. One thing I see in the forums for San Antonio is it's pretty slow, and pretty saturated, so money might be hard.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  11. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Just out of curiosity, how does you vehicle have to be insured and even licensed?

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.