Who would drive for 90% of the load? Why not drive for yourself?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by JboneChicago, Aug 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JboneChicago

JboneChicago Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2017
    I've been a driver for about 1.5 years now. In the first year of driving I learned the ins & outs. By the end of the year I bought a Peterbuilt truck with a flat bed trailer and I started my own authority. Now I am getting ahead but, its still a process of keeping other people out of my wallet.

However I am intensely curious why do 10, 20 or 30 year veteran drivers drive under someone else's numbers and not their own. A lot of these rip off out fits conman a driver into getting paid $1.00 - 1.18 a mile plus fuel surcharge. So my biggest question is why on earth are you allowing a third party to grab up 2/3 of your profit?

Why not drive under your own authority? If you don't want the responsibility of owing your own authority, okay, I understand. But the money you spend working under someone else's authority equals out to a mortgage and a couple car payment monthly... That's why I'm confused because I think it's more fighting ignorance than being responsible with business decisions.

kenn2632 and KB3MMX Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Some guys that lease their trucks on are getting much much better deals then what you're referring to there.

You're referring to the bottom feeders that if you lease your truck on to them they'll pay you $1 a mile plus fuel surcharge. For whatever reason there are some inexperience people that whatever whatever they will do that.

But there are plenty of guys that do better leased onto somebody than they did with their Authority. There are some companies out there that really will pay you well if you lease your truck on to them.

And not only that they get a better discount on fuel and tires and on repairs, etc. Or when there is detention or TONU, they don't have to fight with the broker and probably usually end up on the losing end of it. If their truck breaks down they don't have to worry about renting a truck or any of that type of thing the company will send another truck . And they don't have to wait for their money or wonder if they're going to get paid. There's probably way more than that but I have things to do now.

Having your Authority isn't always all that it's cracked up to be. If you could make more money than you're making now and have somebody do all the other stuff that occupies your time and have less responsibility on yourself wouldn't you do that?

kenn2632, KB3MMX, Old Man and 4 others Thank this.
  4. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
  5. JboneChicago

JboneChicago Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2017
    I do not agree. I have yet to meet a driver that makes a good living under someone else's authority. Plus your not getting the chance of earning the accounts yourself. Keeping everyone out of your pocket including the broker

6. rasymacmac21

rasymacmac21 Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2009
    East of the Mississippi.
    I tell you what. Some that are leased on by percentage have access to better loads and discounts that no other small fleet or independent might have. So the difference might not be alot in revenue unless the o/o is playing his cards right. Everybody keeps boosting about having your own numbers. I wish FMCSA would just not take any more entrants. Holy sheeet

jsnell Thanks this.
  7. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    So do you have all of your own customers, or do load from loadboards and give a broker 10 - 20%?

KB3MMX, jsnell, DUNE-T and 3 others Thank this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I'm going to be the proverbial pia devil's advocate.

How are you SPENDING YOUR money under someone else's authority when the money FLOWS from the customer to them to you?

Some people don't want to chase the money, they are content with capturing the revenue without having the additional hassles.

NOTHING wrong with that but those who think capturing that extra 5 to 15% is going to justify the time wasted trying to get someone to pay, have at it.

Hurst, jsnell and Oldironfan Thank this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    If they are drivers, then they are employees, not owners.

wore out, KB3MMX and Oldironfan Thank this.
  10. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Why are you guys wasting your time?
    This driver has been at it a year and a half and cleary smarter than everyone else.

PoleCrusher, kenn2632, KB3MMX and 9 others Thank this.
  11. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    who says we are paid a dollar a mile?

KB3MMX and driverdriver Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.