Who's good and who's bad?

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by joshmck1982, Jan 7, 2009.

1. joshmck1982

joshmck1982 Light Load Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Greensburg, IN
    I'm a wannabe trucker getting ready to go to school to get my license. I had my license 6 years ago and drove for Covenant for 4 months. There were only two good things that came from my experience with Covenant. First, was getting to see the country and some absolutely beautiful scenery. Second was knowing that I do want to drive a truck for a living, but not with a company like Covenant.

My cousin who is a professional driver recommended this site to me today and I've been looking at it all day. My conflict is that I'll read several threads with glowing praises about one company and then I'll read one that completely trashes that same company and I don't know what to believe. I know every company is going to have its good points and bad points, but are there any companies out there that really would be good for a newbie to start out with. After looking at this site all day, I've really come to like Roehl and Transport America with a few others not looking too bad.

Also, any advice from any experienced drivers to help me make the most out of my first company would be really helpful as well. I know I'm not going to graduate from CDL school and instantly make tons of money. I know that I will have to take some BS for a while to "pay my dues" so to speak. I'm just trying to make the best out of whatever company I can get on with. While hopefully being able to stay legal, I will do just about whatever I have to do to make sure the company knows that I will work my butt off to prove to them that I can do the job. Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Suncoast

Suncoast Light Load Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    well with the down economy and slow freight many companies have pulled back on any cdl trainning. you should first find out who has good freight and still trainning drivers and work from that list. When you get back in just settle in with that company for a year and then start looking again if needed. right know just get you short list together and go with who lets you in and has the miles to give you!

4. joshmck1982

Jan 7, 2009
    Greensburg, IN
    Thanks. That's helpful. The good news is I'm not really limited by who will offer CDL training. I can get through school on my own and not have to worry about being under a contract with any certain company. Although, if I knew that I was getting on with a company that would give me plenty of miles, I guess it wouldn't be so bad to be obligated to a company for a year.

5. Ease

Ease Light Load Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indiana
    joshmck,you would be 2 steps ahead of many other students by paying your own way and living in a good area for freight.

A valuable resource in your search is the FMCSA website,it can tell you a lot of info on any carrier such as number of trucks,miles driven,log violations,equipment violations and much more.This can help you determine how many miles each truck runs,how they maintain their equipment,and if they run their drivers legally on hours of service.

Crete has a terminal in Indy and I've read on this forum where they take students(only from certain shools and you must score 95% or better to qualify).I recommend reading the thread "Crete-a year in review" in the good company section.A driver for any company could learn a lot from this thread.evertrucker,the thread starter,is in the wrong line of work,I think he could make a lot of $ writing professionally,but I think he has a genuine love for the road like you and I.It's one of the best threads on this forum.

Good luck to you and if you have more questions there are a lot of people here willing to help.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  6. joshmck1982

Jan 7, 2009
    Greensburg, IN
    Thanks Ease. That's really helpful. I actually looked at Crete and didn't see anything on their website about taking students, but based on what you said, I will definitely give them a call. Thanks again.

7. Ease

Ease Light Load Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indiana
    Your welcome joshmck,I think that info was on the Crete-year in review thread,but it might take a while to find it(153 pages).

Another good thread is Superior Carriers(tanker)where a guy got hired right out of school,sometimes it's all in the timing and a good attitude and you get lucky.You can check out that thread in the DAC section.

Another good resource on this site is in the "Experienced Truckers Advice" section.The thread is"Evaluating a Motor Carrier-The Interview"posted5-26-08.It's a list of all the questions you should ask a recruiter,if they can't answer them,BEWARE.

Any questions feel free to ask.

8. Kabar

Kabar Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Pell City Al
    Most drivers who are trashing a company caused there own problems. Thats not say that there aren't some really bad comapanies out there. It's just that most of them are not as bad as some drivers would have you belive. Remember the following things and it will help allot with any company you work for.

1: This is a job unlike any other. It's more of a life style then a job. If you look at it as just a job you will have problems.

2: Remeber you work WITH them. Not FOR them. Everyone from the planner to dispatch to CRS to the driver needs to do there job. Someone drops the ball and everyones life is harder.

3: Your dm IS NOT you boss. The dm is your partner. he keeps you happy by getting you miles, which makes you money. You drive the miles, Del on-time and communicate with him, Which makes his life easier and he looks good to his boss so he's happy. You get a dm that forgets this and thinks he's the boss you fire him and get someone who can work WITH you. Not over you.

4: Do your job. You are hired to drive miles. That meens 500-600 a day 3000+ a week. You get paid for those miles NOT what is in the back. Who cares what you haul? As long at it moves you on down the line it pays.

5: Small loads add up to big checks. Don't turn down a load because it has short miles. Shure a load thats only 295 miles sucks. Or 600 miles in two days is BS. But it maybe getting you to an area where frieght is better. 300 here and 600 there add up to 2000+ for the week. And that bets the two days sitting you did with no layover because you refused a short load and pissed people off.

6: Attitude. If you have a good attitude and don't give your dm allot of greef. they are more likely to go out of there way to get you better loads and keep you moveing. If you act like a butthead and cuss and yell at them. Then they aren't going to do squot for you. They may even let you sit awhile. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Remember this and you life as a drive at any company will be much easier.:yes2557:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
    LRod and dawgfan Thank this.
  9. joshmck1982

Jan 7, 2009
    Greensburg, IN
    Thanks Kabar. One thing I've learned from other jobs that I've had is how to approach a problem. I've learned that if you approach it with maturity and professionalism, you usually go a lot farther in resolving the issue and making things better for everyone. At the very least, it helps prevent the problem from getting any worse. Yelling and cussing will only make the other person(s) involved mad and make them not want to try to work with you. If you approach a problem with a bad attitude and start cussing out the person you are trying to get to help you, then you will get nowhere. If, after being mature and professional about it, the person that you are going to for help is unwilling to help you, then you can go to someone else, but still keep the same attitude.
    If I had to deal with a poor dispatcher about not getting good enough miles, that is exactly how I would handle it. If he/she was unwilling to help, then I know from my previous experience as a driver that I can always go to someone else. And I also know that as a rookie, I will have to prove to my dispatcher and my company that I am willing to work. So, I would take whatever load I am given and if I'm not getting the miles I need at first, at least I will have shown them that I will do the job that is asked of me and I can hope that that attitude would go a long way in making me look better in the eyes of everyone involved. Make sense?

10. bduke

bduke Light Load Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Fontana, ca
    All in all a good answer. The only thing I take issue with is the recruiter comment. If you read the posts on here, it is hard to believe what they say. You can ask as many questions as you want. The recruiter will usually answer all of them. The problem is, they lie. They do everything they can to get you to hire on. That is one of the ways they get paid.

I think if you want the truth, ask them to put it in writing. It should be simple enough for them to do that if they are telling the truth. If not, every word they say can be a lie. Remember that all they want to do is get you hired and make their money.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.