Why a Tesla when you could have an Edison

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by AModelCat, May 20, 2023.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Edison Motors

Buddy of mine just sent me a TikTok from these guys. Their electric trucks have a jake! They're diesel electric so when in regenerative braking the jake actually holds back the generator. They're claiming 12L/100 km (19.6 MPG) in a 19k lb bobtail truck. This is the future, not to mention they're actually designing these for real work.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Why would you want a Jake? The motor can put down just as much braking force as it can acceleration, and you get that power back to use again. Maybe hold off on believing marketing materials since the last BS marketing stunts from Nikola.

Certainly I've always liked the idea of a diesel electric like a train since you can tune for efficiency instead of having to run a broad range of RPMs like typical diesels, but the efficiency gains haven't been big enough to offset the downsides of added weight and engineering costs for the large manufacturers it seems. Could be they didn't want to try something new when seemingly full electric is closer and would make their engineering costs worthless in a short time span.

Who knows, but again, maybe don't trust some randos nobody's ever heard of.

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I wonder if these were the guys who ripped off a couple who put together a few trucks about 10 years ago, they both worked for GE locomotive division from what I remember, and had made a lot of progress in making it all work. They had a couple of trucks running on the road locally for a bit of testing. One of them had cancer so everything stopped then someone came in to help just to steal all their ideas and plans.

5. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Completely over your head.

If the batteries are full, where is the regenerative energy supposed to go? Locomotives have resistive load banks that convert it to heat (which they use large fans to cool). They were going to utilize the concept here by the sound of it but then decided to utilize the generator as a motor and use the jake to provide the resistance on the motor if the batteries were full. Much simpler.

Fully electric trucks have literally ZERO practicallity in Western Canada, that's why they're developing a more practical solution. Its pretty common to drive hours between towns, truck stops are a rarity and a lot of loggers will regularly drive 2 hours into the bush to load up to 140,000 lb gross, then head back to the mill.

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/X--js8tlXxo

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/dJnbiNQXRc8

6. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    So you're saying that instead of using the electric motors as a generator and dumping the heat they'll counter drive the motors and just dump the heat into the motors instead? Yeah, great idea. But it's only an issue on fully electric trucks if you have your charging depot on top of a mountain, otherwise you'll need to burn energy to get there, and get it back on the way down. I'm not saying that diesel electric hybrid trucks don't have a place, or that they're a bad idea. I'm just saying that the amount of money to produce them is probably not going to pan out long term for the large producers when they have the option to go with the well publicized electric route. Nobody wants to invest in "old" tech like diesel electric, so it's a double barrier.

I would wait for somebody other than the company who stands to gain a lot from publicity to make some videos about it.

7. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    By the sounds of it they utilize the jake only if the batteries are full.

Fully electric really is not practical out here. Like I said truckstops are practically non-existent. Largest one I've ever seen fits maybe 40 trucks max. With the distance between towns being so great, lots of hills etc they'd have to build a lot of charging stations powered by gensets anyways. Then add in the fact that nobody runs 5 axles here anymore. Even most vans are tridems now and are grossing around 100k lbs, super b's are pushing 140,000 lbs. The range of a fully electric truck will be much less than what Elon claims the Tesla truck is.

8. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan

Only 10 wires in the main harness. This is why I have some faith in this design. Its not an over engineered, overcomplicated POS with 15 computers and 400 lbs of wiring harness interfacing with a whole bunch of tech garbage.

Simplicity always wins.

9. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    Something says me you are in super excitement state.
    EPA will never allow use diesel engine without crap they already put on. So, all computers, DPF, DEF, wiring, sensors will stay in place.
    What is going on the top of existed crap ?
    Complicated ( at least for TA shop truck mechanic) module to control electrical motor torque and speed to the wheels. All HD semiconductors need cooling, so more wires, more fans, more sensors, more heat sinks.
    Just couple days ago saw yard switcher electrical truck. Daycab with small driver cab like FUSO truck with HUGE, bigger then super trucker sleeper attachment behind the cab where is battery and all electronics. Crap.

10. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Genset diesels tend to have less problems. They turn at 1800 all day and if loaded up they make plenty of heat. I've worked on a few of Cat's tier 4f gensets and they seem to have it figured out how to keep the CEM hot.

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.