Why are Volvos so much better than all other Class 8 trucks?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Midnightrider909, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    My wife and I have driven Cascadia’s and the T6 80 and never knew the joy of a Volvo until we bought one ourselves. This truck rides so much better and is so much quieter and has so much more space inside to store our belongings it’s almost like we forget we’re trucking half the time. The windshield is one piece and doesn’t have that stupid collumn in the center to block your site lines and the mirrors are oversize so we can see everything around us and behind us. We can have a conversation at normal speaking volumes and not scream at each other. When it idles it is much quieter than the DD15 and especially the Cummins. The Ishift transmission is light years better than the Eaton unit installed in the T680 and markedly superior to the DT12 which had hesitation issues off the line. The front of the cab has gobs of room and doesn’t make you feel like you’re in a coffin like the Kenworth did and it has lots if storage nooks in reach while driving. There is even a sunshade mounted above the drivers door that you can pull down, which neither of her other trucks possessed. The refrigerator is twice as large as the units installed in the Cascadia or the T680 and the cabinets are larger. There is even a retractable dinette set in the back if you want to sit during an extended break. We have windows in the sleeper that are large enough to kick out in case of an emergency escape instead of the ram air vents in the Cascadia or the tiny T680 window. I have always had trouble sleeping while she drives but it’s much less of an issue in the Volvo due to the smoother ride and superior noise dampening. The 780 has been in production for a decade at least and I don’t get why anybody buys anything else if you’re in the market for an aero truck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 12 ga

12 ga THE VIEW FROM MY OFFICE

Oct 21, 2013
    Central Michigan
    Nice advertisement, never the less I agree with you and you can see what I drive.

Aamcotrans and MartinFromBC Thank this.
  4. Pup97

Pup97 Light Load Member

May 30, 2016
  5. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    While they are a nice truck, they are heavy.
    One of the primary maintenance items that seems to be common on the 780 is alignment and steer tire wear.

6. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Just wait until it's broken in. All the rattles, squeaks, wind noise, etc will find their way out. Our D16 is also not the quietest.

PE_T, RunningAces, Opendeckin and 3 others Thank this.
  7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
  8. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Because lefties like anything European and hate American made.

JonJon78, Bean Jr. and 77fib77 Thank this.
  9. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    You ever driven a Volvo? Maybe? A new Volvo?

You too. ;)

I'm no Volvo fanboy but I think some people are stuck in the past. I think they might surprise you... In some ways, not so much in others.

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  10. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Making a few prototypes doesn't count for much. I seriously doubt if they ever go into production. Even if they do, Elon Musk will screw up his own company and Tesla car and truck owners will be left out in the cold.

MartinFromBC and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  11. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    78,000 miles and still drives like new. No rattles. It’s not perfect. I did have to do some final adjustments on one of the cabinet doors and a couple of drawers and the trim piece between the front and the back has a broken screw which allows it to protrude up a little too far. Other than that no issues.

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.