Why aren't truckers in the driver's seat?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by jptrick, Nov 3, 2012.

1. jptrick

jptrick Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Morris, Illinois
    The trucking industry employs millions of drivers and apparently has a shortage of many thousands.

In any other industry, those two conditions would give the employees incredible leverage when it comes to negotiating pay, benefits, working conditions, etc..

Yet, I am always hearing about how drivers are treated poorly, paid poorly and face increasing rules and regulations by both companies and governments.

Shouldn't the law of supply and demand dictate that just the opposite should take place.?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    too many drivers out for just themselves. they'll do what needs to be done for the money, over hrs or whatever. can't us to agree on whether it's day or night, much less unite to fight for better working conditions.

lucky07, Boomer 1 and Raiderfanatic Thank this.
  4. ShortBusKid

ShortBusKid Heavy Load Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Vegas
    Economically speaking, low barriers to entry into the field and quick training periods for replacements = no shortage big enough to cause a huge spike in pay. In my opinion of course.

jgremlin, brsims and gearjammer42 Thank this.
  5. SteelWheel

SteelWheel Bobtail Member

Jun 15, 2012
    The way a lot companies look at it, truck drivers are a dime a dozen, easily replaced. Its a revolving door, as many coming in as there are going out,(if you dont like it, quit, we'll have someone else in the truck tomorrow) at least with the larger companies.

6. NDBADLANDS

NDBADLANDS Medium Load Member

May 8, 2010
    ND
    I don't think there is a shortage of drivers, and I agree with the other posts. High driver turn over yes, but a driver shortage no. I think sometimes we confuse the two.

Raiderfanatic Thanks this.
  7. ShortBusKid

ShortBusKid Heavy Load Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Vegas
    It's really kind of depressing but true. Very few trucking companies (large ones anyway) value a good employee and have this exact attitude. You'd think it would be more cost effective to have a fleet of highly skilled, experienced, motivated and loyal drivers but the bottom feeders must have put the numbers into a spreadsheet and figured out they can make a half cent per mile more profit the way it is.

rachi Thanks this.
  8. NDBADLANDS

NDBADLANDS Medium Load Member

May 8, 2010
    ND
    You hit the nail on the head, until it becomes unprofitable to operate the way they currently are doing, it will not change. This holds true for any business.

9. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    don't forget about the gov. subsidy to companies to train people in a depressed area. they don't want you to stay so can reap another check for training a new one.

10. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    The only way that could happen is that the companies be found responsible for pay when the driver is detained, brokedown and etc. When that happens, they will then begin better treatment of the truck driver.

NDBADLANDS Thanks this.
  11. tl385

tl385 Light Load Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Copperas Cove, Texas
    The "shortage" is scheme to get people into school and into orientation ready to roll to compensate for the high turnover. For the time being, it's cheaper than paying a few more pennies per mile, especially for the companies running driver mills --err--schools. How many drivers actually make it to the top of the pay scale?

Good way to research companies, now that I think about it... find out the percentage of drivers at the top of the scale.

I'm sure the ever changing regulations have pushed more than a few of the lifers into early retirement.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.