Why can't American trucks have synchronized transmissions?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by snowbird_89, Mar 6, 2011.

1. V8Lenny

V8Lenny Road Train Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Europe
    What kind of transmission Spicer offers these days?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Donk

Donk Have a Cup Of Concrete

Apr 27, 2008
    Not sure. Ive been out of touch with the heavy guys that i talked too for almost a year.

4. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    synchronized transmissions are the wrong way of tranny evolution. ten years later all semis in EU and USA will be with automatic trannies

5. yardhorse

yardhorse Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Addison MI
    I can shift my Eaton 10 faster then i can row the 5sp in my Colorado. I think alot of the reason is tradition. Which is fine with me. How many long nosed petes do you see running around europe? There more progressive we're more traditinal.

6. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    The less gears the bigger the steps in range and therefore slower you can change.
    We used to have a high revving 6 speed Nissan 55 000LBS 6X4 straight truck that I maintained was what all people should learn on.
    If you could time your shifts in that then no other truck would pose a problem shifting.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  7. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    why and when full synchro transmissions appeared? the answer is symple. Europ got drivers problem before the USA, in 70-s, when it was a real problem to find a good driver and advantages of synchro transmissions were that not so experienced driver could work. USA got the same problem in late 90-s but the level of technologies was higher and in the USA they started building trucks with automated transmissions in 90-s, like in Europe. But now we have more and more autos so seems to me for the USA introdusing full synchro transmissiona gets no reason, becouse ten years later more then half auto transmissions

Donk Thanks this.
  8. TA63

TA63 Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Ill stick with my 18 speed.

9. V8Lenny

V8Lenny Road Train Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Europe
    Good drivers skip gears for fuel economy so it doesn't matter how many gears your transmission has, steps are always big. You should be able to reach top gear with 4 or 5 changes from standstill.

10. Deezl Smoke

Deezl Smoke Medium Load Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Hillsboro Oregon
    The "cool factor"

I could'nt imagine stepping into a Pete 379 exhd with a synchro. May as well hook mom's minivan to the trailer at that point.

Though I must say, whomever thought up the super 10 mechanism should be banned from ever engineering a part for a truck again.:biggrin_25511:

11. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
    When is the last time you heard of driver from Europe hauling a load 2500 miles?
    You cannot compare driving in Europe to driving in America whether it is big trucks or cars!

Fredlikestrucks and pepper687 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.