Why can't American trucks have synchronized transmissions?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by snowbird_89, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Donk

Donk Have a Cup Of Concrete

Apr 27, 2008
    68t but 9 axles..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    I towed Floor double (one semi + dolly + semi) with old Volvo F10. Backing was a real art. I had to park trailers near ramp side by side.

4. halfgear

halfgear Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Rome
    I wish:biggrin_25523:...at the moment i drive a 1991 iveco eurotech,if i am light i can do 4l-5l-6l-7l-7h-8l-8h but if i am uphill or heavy gotta start from 3l or even 2.
    Talking about transmissions i really miss the eaton twinsplitter that was really fast and nice to use.But i find the zf a reliable and nice transmission it has too many gears for todays trucks but as you wrote we can skip them and it's slower than a crashbox but still who cares....

5. BigMikey

BigMikey Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Al Asad, Iraq
    I don't think it takes a lot of intelligence to shift any transmission so some of the comments about that seem a bit out of place. Anyone can learn to shift anything. I have had the opportunity to drive both types of transmissions and at first I didn't know what to think about it either at first. But just like the Options of a fine automobile, I think the Europeans make an excellent product and today would much rather drive a synchronized transmission than not. Not sure exactly why manufacturers have fallen behind on this in the USA, but then again I suspect it's just hard for some people to accept change. BTW the best heavy truck I've ever driven (IMO) is the Mercedes Actros 4400. Rode and drove like a dream and shifts like a sports car. Loved it, sorry to see they don't offer/build any of their trucks in the USA (that I have found yet). I would seriously consider one.

6. halfgear

halfgear Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Rome
    I agree 100%,here in italy most of the trucks had fuller gearboxes until the mid 90's and many are still around. Whoever drove or is driving an unsynch it'either on the web on youtube or at the truckstop bragging about them being the only real drivers left and how difficult it is to shift an unsynch.But come on it's not rocket science,all it takes it's a couple of days to learn how to drive decently.

7. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    Do you drive Actros with full auto ore with clutch pedal? Autoshift ore EPS?

8. Krooser

Krooser Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Why would we want synchros? If it ain't broke don't fix it...

9. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    Yeah, I'd prefere crashbox too. But we got more trucks now and we have less expirienced drivers who shift well, Europe tried to solve problem with synchros, but now all trucks are available with auto and we soon we will get the so many trucks with auto as many cars with auto.

as I know in the USA about 7% cars are with manual trannies? And about 30% of trucks are with Autos.....

10. rich_t

rich_t Road Train Member

May 28, 2009
    United States
    You can float the gears on a 4 wheel synchro... I used to do it all the time.

11. 98989

98989 Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2008
    this man f2000 4x4 is 1998 it is serie 4 but still with f2000 look not fe2000

it has eaton fuller gearbox it shifts really nice it easly( no grinding or something like this) go in every gear but you need lot of force by hand , you can shift 16s xxx ZF gearbox with 2 fingers
    .....but gears are too close(not ratio but gear knob) comparing to ZF you are not sure in which gear are you, also it go pretty hard to change to reverse( sometimes you need both hands or stand from seat) and changing range group is pretty hard

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and very rare 3passenger bench on rear
    [​IMG]

russellkanning Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.