Why can't I find Flatbed drivers to haul my loads?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Tim77, Mar 12, 2015.

1. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I hauled some of that fancy shmancy paneling in a container too. Sadly, it didn't pay any more than any other northbound load. ( northbound rail loads paid a flat rate to basically get a container for the higher paying southbound loads back to the RR)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. old time

old time Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2012
    I never liked lugging out my lumber tarps but to be honest square loads of lumber are not that hard to tarp. Get your customer to pay the rate +tolls and it will help. If guys are getting $3.00 to run to an area with no tolls, why would they go somewhere for same rate and spend .20 to .30C per mile in tolls?

Finished product is usually better freight to haul and 46K and up never is going to be attractive when there are alternatives. The full gross loads add up to higher fuel costs. So you have tarping, tolls and heavy freight all adding up to unattractive loads.

4. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    OP, are you posting a rate on the load ? Often when using ITS we will search by posted rate, which brings the loads with rates posted to the top. Also, are you auto-refreshing your postings ? Honestly, we hate when brokers do this because then we can't tell the loads that have been sitting there for days from fresh ones. But all the big brokers do it, sometimes we set our searches to refresh by time posted, if you refresh your posting a couple times a day it will get more views.

I would just suggest you post the loads accurately, with info if it requires 8ft drops or whatever. Offer what you can on them. As mentioned, your problem is likely that carriers have worked with your competition in the past, if they see the same load posted by you and 5 others they are going to call the one they have gotten it from before if things went well for them that time.

5. Lucar

Lucar Road Train Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Texas
    Has anyone consider broker's credit rating?

Broke Down 69 and fortycalglock Thank this.
  6. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Lucar, I did consider it for a moment but remembered he stated he had no problems moving reefer loads so just assumed that's not a factor here. I'm confident the real issue is the commodity and cheap rate.

Lucar Thanks this.
  7. fireba11

fireba11 Heavy Load Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Tracy City, TN
    Being able to haul 48k is another problem! A lumber hauler has to carry lumber tarps, which are heavy and regular tarps for steel and other commodities. Chains, straps, edge protectors and the like can add up pretty quick. Older drivers tend to have heavier trucks, with big bunks and generators on them so it is hard for them to be able to scale 48k. My outfit weights 40,200 empty so I would never call on a load like that. Plus heavy loads equal less fuel mileage and with the high price of fuel people try to keep their loads light as possible.

mitmaks Thanks this.
  8. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Wait a second here.........Why does all this talk avbout lumber so BLOATED...

Show me a load of Lumber going South from the northeast paying $3.00 per mile..Show me 1.

These Brokers are paying anywhere from $1.10- to $2.15 per mile (Of course the lane and market dictates it)..

AND THEY ARE GETTING MOVED..

For example- Im Going to be in New Hampshire on Monday with a Flat..I can haul the 48, But everything Im seeing going WEST is $1.70- $1.90 per mile..Going South is even Worse.

Show me an 800 mile Lumber Haul paying $2400 outta the East and I'll Never bump my gums again about this

I think everyone on here (except the OP) has inflated numbers- Either that or I have been Super Fooled for Years now by brokers and Lumber wholesalers in believing $1.50 per mile is Market.

And the OP is saying he cant find trucks for $3.00 per mile?? CALL ME for chrissakes!

9. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I'm falling in line with the same thinking.

I dont know about the other guys here. Maybe I'm not as smart or hungrier,.. but for a consistent $3 mi I can park my step trailer, get a 48' flat and easily haul those 48k lumber loads up and down the east coast. Heck,.. I can scale just shy of 47k on my step now. I'm not going to run my truck into the ground for $1.90 mi though.

Problem is,.. I dont see anything over $2 mi. My personal rule is, anything over 45k lbs needs to pay min $2.80 mi. I can make money at that rate. Tarping doesnt bother me,.. but 48k lb tarp load,.. yeah,.. I will want closer to $3 mi to the truck. Particularly if the load will require me to wait somewhere.

The whole reason I like flatbed is that most shippers and destinations are waiting on me,. I'm not waiting on them.

So where are these $3 mi,.. 700+ mi loads?
    Sign me up.

Hurst

10. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Hurst, you are smart enough to know that if his 300 mile runs are paying 3/mile, his longer runs are not.
    Also look at his origin and destination points. Virginia to the north east. You really want that for 3/mile? Gonna take half a day to load, and another half to unload.

Atlanta to Florida. Have fun bouncing back empty. (Well you live in Florida so this might not be a bad run to get you home)

And Alabama. Lots of steel in Alabama that is faster to load and unload, pays better, and has a much lower profile on the deck so better fuel economy.

1johnb Thanks this.
  11. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    You misread. His loads Go to the northeast, they do not originate there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.