Why do CDL schools offer "Refreshers"?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by insipidtoast, Jan 31, 2023.

1. insipidtoast

insipidtoast Heavy Load Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    Don't the companies you apply to give you that 2-3 week refresher in a trainer's truck?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rch10007

rch10007 Medium Load Member

May 26, 2007
    Madison, AL
    It’s a service they have the resources to market. Business 101.

tscottme Thanks this.
  4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Probably an insurance scam. I had been out of the loop for a couple years, I thought maybe return for a while, nobody would hire me without a verified refresher course. REFRESHER COURSE, after 30 years( then) you want ME to take a refresher course, I backed up more miles, go cram it with walnuts. Didn't matter how long I drove, without any driving in the last 3 years, it didn't matter what before that, just a number. That's when I said goodbye.

rockeee, homeskillet, Numb and 2 others Thank this.
  5. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Because most companies won't hire you unless you have driven in the last 60 days.

tscottme Thanks this.
  6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Just curious, what is your timeline for actually driving a truck in the industry? Is it some day, next year, after every possible question about every possible topic in trucking has been answered, or is trucking just a topic you like to talk about? There are no wrong answers, of course.

7. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    The problem I ran into about 4 years ago, coming back to trucking after a 10 year break, was two-fold:

1) None of the CDL schools around me had a "refresher course". They offered to rent me a truck to practice with at a rate that was about the same as taking the whole course.

2) None of the places I applied to could answer the question, "How many hours of 'refresher training', at my own expense, will be 'enough'?"

Nobody could answer that question, even though the reason for the refresher was "Our insurance company requires it."

I quit trucking in November, and I hope to be finally done with it.

It sure ain't like it used to be......

tscottme Thanks this.
  8. insipidtoast

insipidtoast Heavy Load Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Planet Earth
    2nd quarter of this year.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.