Why do OTR megas pay so little for 70 hrs worked?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by a-trucker123, Sep 24, 2017.

1. a-trucker123

a-trucker123 Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I'm in an OTR mega starting off my trucking career and heard other OTR megas pay for similar amounts for similar hours worked. I'm guessing even experienced drivers in megas get paid poop.

Why do truckers in megas who put in so much time driving in a highly stressful, potentially dangerous, and time consuming job whose job is an essential part to the US economy get paid so little??

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fargonaz

fargonaz Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    Because every loser and his brother thinks driving truck is like being on vacation 365 day a year.

Which leads to drivers quitting pretty quickly once they figure out it's not a holiday. Also, the equipment they abuse while figuring out that driving is not for them.

misterG, 207nomad, Dan.S and 4 others Thank this.
  4. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Coz it takes 3 weeks to be unleashed to the world (Swift? Anyone?), and there's a dime-a-dozen-dumb-nuts ready to join Mega's for NEW SHINY TRUCKS....with satellite TV, fridge and no rent required. basically, they are quasi-homeless.

Oh, and most are too spineless to speak out too. The smart ones step away before too long. The really smart ones never step a foot into a MEGA

5. fargonaz

fargonaz Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    Oh, and especially as a new employee, you're going to be working a lot more than 70 hours per week, unless you can live off of nothing.

Toomanybikes and Canned Spam Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Some are perfectly happy with the pay and the work environment. Doesn't mean they're wrong; just means they've found a niche they're comfortable with.
    I've worked with drivers making over $70K and were the biggest whiners and crybabies I've ever known. One thing they were miserable about is they just couldn't understand why the man that owns the company, wouldn't obey them. Why don't they pool their money and start their own company and show him how it's done? They won't because they're too ignorant to run a business.

tommymonza, MarkH129, misterG and 12 others Thank this.
  7. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Amen to that. One of our relay yards is hip-deep in that attitude.

For those who don't know, a relay yard is a place generally in the middle of nowhere, that's nothing but a meet point with a guardshack and a fence. It's 100% linehaul. You get in a pre-hooked truck, drive to a meetpoint, swap sets, drive back (fuel along the way) and you're done. For this, the folks at that yard are making anywhere from $65-90K per year. And all half of them can do is whine, complain and cause drama.

Some folks would bee-yotch if they were hung with a new rope.

8. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    I was making about 6k a month as a company driver at Swift, before my dumb ### bought a truck and leased on. The freight is there and to be honest, when you consider the miles available, the pay is comparable if not better than the non mega carriers.

If you take that attitude with you to another company, you'll make very little there too.

misterG, tinytim and Lepton1 Thank this.
  9. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    Amen. Neediest lot of grown man-children I've had to work around.... and i did Social Service work with the Developmentally Disabled for 9 years, 5 of it managerial, so I had to deal with 'the staff' and all their idiosyncrasies (idiot-syncrasies) - prior to bangin' gears.

One fat gal I work with recently pitched a fit (sweaty, ugly, squinty-eyed & red faced, hyperventilating) that she had to walk 500 feet to the front lot to get her car because the dump-drivers at our shared yard took up the parking with their POV's and she couldn't get hers in..... Sorry McChubb's, life's tough.... and if that's the biggest problem you got; I suggest getting a real one. *Note: The fat men will whine about the same.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    Jeck, longbedGTs, Coover and 8 others Thank this.
  10. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    6K a month? As a company driver for Swift?

I think my BS meter just pegged.

BB203, IluvCATS, Coover and 9 others Thank this.
  11. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I work an hourly job. Used to have a co-worker who would call the dispatcher and cuss him out every time he had to sit at a customer for more than an hour. Not only did he get paid by the hour, he made time and a half after 40 hours! I never understood his attitude. Who the heck wouldn't want to make overtime pay to take a nap?

One day there was a hiccup at a customer where they didn't have the load ready on time and he had to sit and wait for like four hours. He delivered the load, then said f them and went home, even though he had another pickup planned on him. Next day he got fired. And good riddance!

peterd, misterG, Jeck and 8 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.