Why do people say "don't be a trucker, go to college instead"?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by longhairdontcare, Jul 26, 2018.

1. longhairdontcare

longhairdontcare Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2016
    When I was growing up, I used to hear people say "don't become a trucker, go to school and get an education." I had a couple of friends say the same thing to me. Fast forward years later and most of them have degrees, but are unemployed.

Im not knocking going to college, but that's never what I wanted to do. I never wanted to sit behind a desk and take orders from some prick bossing me around. I dont like being around people much anyways.

Its just sad how parents tell their kids early that being a trucker is a bad thing.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TankerP

TankerP Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Holding the steering wheel
    In trucking it’s always better to have all your endorsements even if you don’t use it. In life it’s always better to have a degree even if you don’t use it. A degree opens up more options as you go through life trying to find your mojo. For example, what if later on you decide you want to go to flight school and fly for the big airlines, good luck doing that without a degree.

smokey12, D.Tibbitt, Wargames and 4 others Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    A high school drop out can attend a 4 week cdl school and then make money than a university graduate.
    You can buy a degree online anyway and use that if you decide to quit trucking. www.realisticdiplomas.com and can also get transcripts to back up the degree.
    Some trucking companies have a silly policy that a truck driver needs a high school diploma or GED; no problem, you can buy that also online.

Bakerman, Justrucking2 and tscottme Thank this.
  5. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    If you are asking this question, you probably would not have done good in school anyways.

6. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Yes, and it doesn’t even matter what the degree is in.
    It could be a masters in poopology and they couldn’t care less.
    The other great thing is you could spend three years of your college career in some hole in the wall unknown college and then transfer to Harvard for your last year an end up in the end with a Harvard degree.

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  7. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Trucking is a respectable line of work. So are many other College prep careers. College degree or not, some people make good money in life, some don't. I have a CDL and a bachelor's. I figure I'll always find somewhere to work with both in my pocket. People should do what makes them happy, but a college degree doesn't hurt to have.

CJ701 Thanks this.
  8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I was reading an article not too long ago that said the average lifetime earnings of a degree holder vs average earnings of a highschool grad is not much. I guess when you factor in 4+ years of lost earning and student debt it makes sense.

9. De Trucker

De Trucker Medium Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    What I used to hear and im sure most others.."be a doctor!"

Yeah, no thanks! I don't care what they get paid. Im not doing that job.

Big_D409 and Rubber duck kw Thank this.
  10. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    A degree you never use is not better for you if it costs you 40k to get it to think otherwise is just stupid.

11. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    What about those that worked through college? Many people have to do that to avoid debt. The earnings are not much different because the majority of jobs out here don't pay worth a flip

stwik and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.