Why do people say "don't be a trucker, go to college instead"?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by longhairdontcare, Jul 26, 2018.

1. PT17guy

PT17guy Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2014
    If your income stream is dependent on a medical certificate, or the unpredictable actions of another, you need a back-up plan. Maybe it's a college trained profession, or maybe it's welding. But everyone needs to insulate themselves from unemployment by more than a single skill set.

jon69 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    I went to collige. Didn’t learn much.

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    If by not much you mean a million dollars.....lifetime earning differential. Over a 45 year career. You might want to think about that.

6. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    By choice.

Related: anyone who “went to college “ but had to buy textbooks, actually went to 13th & 14th grade. College is where one reads the originals. And often in that language.

The ripoff is systematic. First telling people they need it. But they haven’t the tools or the desire. Couldn’t do the work even if they wanted to.

Business degree? Not college.
    Etc.

The bar was once high. The few who were capable became real assets. Connect the threads between ancient and modern.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I did too when I was 15 yrs old hung out every weekend went to parties it was a blast . At least I didn’t totally miss out.

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  8. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    My Grandma always said I was a Philadelphia Lawyer. “ Now git on out of here you old hateful thang I can’t stand to look at you” She was Great!!!

9. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Today’s college graduates are a national embarrassment. Take five years to do three years worth of work (more than 50% of time spent socializing) and at the end of it all can’t decipher s complex English sentence. Something within reach of the best high school students.

This is also part of having read nothing worth reading. Several books per week would be an average. Lifelong.

Son of a wealthy family, weak, but he pushed himself physically, Teddy Roosevelt had 15,000 titles in his commonplace book when he became President at 43. His genuinely smart acquaintances were never too impressed by his depth of learning. They considered him enthusiastic and something of a lightweight in serious subjects.

Colleg also means the time to read widely. Not work three jobs to get a credential.

In the case Duke vs Griggs in 1971 the Supreme Court ruled it unfair to use IQ tests in pre-employment. So employers started insisting on college degrees as a substitute.

10. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I always wanted to be a Truckdriver. Almost went to Mechanics school. But didn’t want to go to school.Period. Made my choices with the options I had. Figured better start a business. Best do what you like. Win Lose or Draw no regrets. It really does get in your blood. My Dad took me when I was 4 yr old. Got me a flat top haircut and boots just like his . It was a big deal. Looking back he may have been using me to get the Chicks but that’s ok .I had fun

Rollr4872 Thanks this.
  11. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    Trucking is great when it’s in your blood it’s in there. Reality is I’m 28 now have a few trucks but those 9 years I’ve been behind the wheel my life passed fast. Started losing hair gaining weight losing friends family. It all comes with a price. Not to mention the work side of things being a driver myself and managing my drivers fixing trucks so on and so forth. I learned one thing and that’s to use trucking as a tool. Save up some money and invest. Buy something that’s going to bring you money without having to do much. For example an apartment complex.

I can go on and on why staying in school should be a priority if you’re going to major in something that’s a guarantee to give you a better future.

12. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Gotta love that kind of reply.

But it sounds like it comes from a shady dirtbag, and not someone as respected around here as Chinatown.

13. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I agree seen many folks do that using profits to earn solid investments Nice passive income would be nice

• Truckers Report Jobs