Why do people say "don't be a trucker, go to college instead"?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by longhairdontcare, Jul 26, 2018.

1. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Colidge is pretty hard

Pumpkin Oval Head Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Must be; thinking of all the college grads I've talked to over the years that have the vocabulary of a hillbilly 3rd grader.

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  4. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    But those fake degrees are easily recognized by employers. The fake degrees are not worth the paper they are printed on. Save the cost of the ink and the sheet of paper. How many truck drivers are driving around with a fake cdl in their wallet?

Professional occupations require national board exams, such as nursing, physical therapy, dietician, doctor, cpa, law, etc. If you dont have the knowledge, you dont pass the exam. A Masters degree or PhD in the hard sciences is tution free for those having a bachelors degree in the hard sciences, plus they receive a salary while working on the advanced degree...so they only pay tuition for the 4 years of undergrad.

Teachers have to have a degree in most states....teaching is essential to our society advancing.

Their are some jaihouse lawyers, but their client base is limited to their prison population.

jon69 Thanks this.
  5. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Remember college grads make a million dollars more than high school grads!!!

6. bigjoel

bigjoel Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    Truck drivers are considered losers in society.

7. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    To some truck driving(in the past) was a noble profession where you can see the country and experience it. No regrets. During my work as a lineman they would give me a set of blueprints of a system they wanted built and say go at it. All those prints were developed by a educated person who could not do the physical work and mostly were wrong. Being uneducated I had to put the system together and make it work which was always a complete reworking of everything to make it correct, then they wanted a blueprint back of exactly what I did to make it work. Made a killing doing that and taught them brainheads a bit in doing it. I have had to scale back my knowledge for the regular folks, in Colorado they legalized stupidity and if you hit folks with true facts it upsets them. Life is a school which if you open the mind and listen you will learn plenty... but then you have to keep at it since technology will increase and leave you in the dust.

TripleSix and speedyk Thank this.
  8. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    You will never be able to explain education to someone who does not have one, Cannot understand what you do not know.

Also some . it's true college would be a waste, to others its a plus. Depends on what you want to do with your life.

I have 4 kids 2 of them are college grads, both use there education and earn triple digit incomes, 1 is a stay at home Mom (great for her kids), my son is a truck driver earning approx. 65K driving local delivering bulk with tankers.

It is just what you want for your self. You have more to choose from by getting a education. I did encourage all four of my kids to get an education, but gave them the room and support to make their own decisions with my full blessing either way.

spindrift and Pumpkin Oval Head Thank this.
  9. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Life is short, do not worry about all that others think because they may be wrong. Everyone thinks having a pile of the newest junk is what life is about. You aint taking it with you in the end and before that end it is like a anchor around you neck. Get out and enjoy life while you can, when you get into late life most of us lose our memories and movement and they get shoved into them homes. Education comes from listening and trying new things and doing things different. Reading it on a book is just giving you the basics.

10. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Yea my high school dropout uncle who's a carpenter has had to explain to architects on the jobsite why exactly something won't work in the real world even though it looks good on their computer. He's also had geniuses who can't read a tape measure tell him he's doing stuff wrong.

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I certainly wouldn't recommend buying one for some jobs such as nursing or technical jobs. I do recommend buying a GED diploma for some blue collar jobs such as driving trucks or bagging groceries, etc.
    I'm far from perfect, but common sense tells me if lack of a GED is keeping someone unemployed or in a poverty wage job, then buy a GED and enjoy life. Look at the big picture; in the big picture, that GED won't ruin the universe or destroy America like perfectionist think it will.

Pumpkin Oval Head Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.