Why do so many Americans hate European trucks?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by snowbird_89, Jun 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    No i don't think the transmission is fragile. However it is a much more complicated total system, therefore it WILL cost more to keep operating correctly. Not too mention the initial purchase price or replacement/rebuild cost when the time comes.

So again i ask, what financial benefit does that transmutation offer me? You ignored this in your last rely.

sdaniel, Oxbow and AModelCat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Caesar

Caesar Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2014
    Netherlands
    So modern trucks don't have a board computer, a can bus etc.? Or are you fixing and checking those things with a wrench?

4. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    Are you going to answer my question?

7-UP, sdaniel and SAR Thank this.
  5. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
  6. warhoop

warhoop Light Load Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Toledo , Or.
    Euro trucks are for the most part single screw, one drive axle. watch a few youtube videos of how easy these trucks jackknife. there is my answer, and after being in a head on crash in 1981 in a coe I will never drive one again.

7-UP, sdaniel and Oxbow Thank this.
  7. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Again you are wrong. I can diagnosis and repair anything on my truck with out expensive computer diagnostic equipment. The ONLY thing i need that equipment for is changing parameters in the ecm. Which is done once when you purchase a truck and only ever done again if you need to replace the ecm.

My personal vehicle is almost the same, tho did spend 100 dollars on an obdII reader because unlike an n14 or series 60 it won't flash codes through the cheek engine light.

8. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    By board computer do you a basic ecm? that's all my truck has. No can bus, no onboard integrated computer. Just a basic ecm.
    And there are tens of thousands just like me that will never buy what you consider "modern".

Humblepie and Oxbow Thank this.
  9. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    In my fleets experience, what little has been gained in efficiency has been lost to downtime. May be a simple as loose battery cable cable, spread pin, or a failed part, but it caused the truck to be down. Downtime with AMT has been far greater than downtime with manuals.

SAR, haycarter, Humblepie and 3 others Thank this.
  10. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    The slight fuel efficiency won't even offset the extra cost of the initial purchase. I can get a reman for 4500 to put in a new glider. Will that skint even cover the electronics that bolt on to an auto shift?

not4hire, Humblepie and Oxbow Thank this.
  11. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Just curious with others, I know in state of Indiana if you take your CDL test in a automatic or AMT your liscense is restricted to automatics only. Same around the globe?

SAR, Humblepie and Oxbow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.