Why do so many Americans hate European trucks?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by snowbird_89, Jun 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caesar

Caesar Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2014
    Netherlands
    That is a magnificent rant, but completely pointless.

You wrote this:
    Then I wrote this:
    So I showed you that you Americans are put at a disadvantage by this stupid set of rules, that is completely illogical.

Writing a silly rant doesn't make that go away.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. W9onTime

W9onTime Heavy Load Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Your the silly one thinking anyone cares what your opinion of our bridge laws are , most truckers don’t even understand them or care to , but you take it upon yourself to study our bridge laws in all their bureaucratic nonsense , why , I admit they are silly , I’m not defending them , are you going down this road just to prove we are dumb because of our bridge laws.
    And then wonder why I rant , your just like our bureaucrats trying to fix problems that don’t exist or create issues so you can legislate solutions .
    Man find a hobby , get a dog , go fishing or something , at least focus on being a pain The the arse for your own countrymen , at least they are close enough to dot your eye if you get to irritating

Oxbow Thanks this.
  4. Caesar

Caesar Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2014
    Netherlands
    Apparently you do, because otherwise you wouldn't write these silly rants.

5. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Since a spinning tire has no torque , just walk up and grab it !

6. KVB

KVB Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2012
    The free spinning tire does not have torque, but it does have inertia.

If you try to grab it, you will also try yo slow it down, and you need torque to do this, just like it takes torque to accelerate it. Only in the opposite direction.

And the person trying to grab it will be supplying this torque.

(Please note: it takes torque to accelerate or decelerate it, NOT to keep it spinning at constant speed!)

To make things worse, you will not only try to grab (and slow down) the wheel, but the complete drivetrain, including engine.

But....once you grab it and have a hold of it, it will accept torque (from the engine), because you are trying to stop it from spinning. Maybe not much....depends how strong you are.
    The other wheels will also benefit, because they too receive this same torque.

This is basically how the modern traction control work. Applying the brakes on the free spinning wheel (or the wheel with least traction). This will result in this wheel to be able to accept/absorb more torque. And because the differential sends same torque to both wheels, the torque to the wheel with high traction is also increased.

If you want to grab and hold the wheel to test this theory (and you will see that it is not just theory, but reality) I strongly advise to grab and try to hold the wheel BEFORE it starts spinning.

Maybe something to try at home in the weekend to experience how a differential works and the effects of same torque to both wheels:
    Take your car (make sure your car has an open differential, not LSD or Torsen or whatever).
    Lift both driven wheels off the ground.
    Make sure transmission is in gear (manual) or in park (auto), engine not running.
    Use 2 dial-type torque wrenches, one on each wheel, you take one, your wife or a friend the other.
    Apply torque to one wheel, using the torque wrench (while holding the other wheel with the other wrench) and look what happens on the dial of the other torque wrench.

If you don't have the torque wrenches, you can also simply hold one wheel, and ask your wife/friend to try and rotate the other wheel. The harder he/she tries, the harder it will be for you to hold your wheel.

You can also do this with engine running and in gear, but I don't recommend it. It will be relatively easy to stop and grab the first wheel, but the other wheel will be more difficult. One of you may get hurt.

Cat sdp Thanks this.
  7. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    0BDAF565-B39A-4CA8-9342-9D2D2DE06EE6.png

09DEC116-432A-472E-9630-7B9587C3278D.jpeg

:hello1::hello1::hello1::hello1::hello1:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  8. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    yes i've been watching this post and yesterday for the first time in over 20 years i drove a Scania it's got to be one of the best trucks i've ever been in it had a 12 speed auto gear box a real breeze to drive.

9. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    What possible disadvantage do we have? We all (in the US) play by the same rules, and do not compete against EU truckers.
    Yet again you make no sense.

sdaniel, haycarter and spsauerland Thank this.
  10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    This is the truth. I've been trucking for almost 20 years and hardly know anything at all about our bridge law. It's bureaucratic speak for heavy haulers to comply with. Total nonsense to guys who haul everyday ordinary legal loads. I know what I need to do to comply with axle weights, axle lengths from kinpin, etc in various states which is simple stuff that every trucker here knows.

W9onTime and Oxbow Thank this.
  11. Caesar

Caesar Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2014
    Netherlands
    You're right, the bridge law is important in the design phase of trucks and trailers. The truck drivers have to cope with the results. There are pleny of situations where short heavy trucks would be an ideal solution for a transport problem. You can't build them because of the bridge laws. It is left to the truckers to cope with the resulting trucks that are far longer then necessary. Not only that the trucks have to be longer, but you can't mount the axles on the most suitable place either.

NA truckers are always telling EU truckers that EU trucks must be longer to accomodate for bigger sleepers. Maybe so, but your truck designers face far more serious problems because you can't build trucks short enough, and with a shorter wheelbase!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.