why do so many truckers wear headphones?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by denton, Aug 2, 2011.

1. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    What is it about Hispanic and Indian people and phone conversations on the crapper? If they don't have a blue tooth, then they're on speaker phone speaking their native language. It drives me crazy listening to them.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I thought the 'fashion accessory' is exactly what some do? :)
    Now on the crapper. That's where the blue parrot really shines with it's blocking background noise. :laughing-guffaw:

4. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I'm not sure why someone would assume that someone else is wearing a headset as a form of fashion accessory. If someone has a headset on and isn't taking on it they may well be expecting a call or may have just ended one. Those headsets don't fit readily in a pocket, so it stays on the head until you get back to the truck, unless you are worried about some business busy body asking you if are a fast food worker.

Lepton1 and JReding Thank this.
  5. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Why would a person be out walking around talking on the phone? Holding a phone conversation with in ear shot of others in a public space is as rude as it gets. Leave the blue tooth in the truck where it belongs

Oxbow, MACK E-6 and shogun Thank this.
  6. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    The boss is almost as bad as the wife. Who is almost as bad as a broker. Get the idea? They call, you must take it now.

7. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    This is a problem that transcends cell phones and bluetooth. I'm very sensitive to it. I sometimes get tired of hearing other people airing out their family or spouses dirty laundry while I am trying have a peaceful lunch. One reason when I am dining alone I have my bluetooth headphones on playing classical music.

I will repeat a story here though that till this day I think is funny. Sometime around 2000 I was sitting at a TS dining counter when this guy came in with one of those pre bluetooth wired cell phone ear pieces on. he sit and started in on a long conversation. About 15 minutes later an old hand tapped him on the shoulder and told him his earpiece had come unplugged. It got real quiet for a moment, then all hell broke out as we all started laughing. To this day when I hear someone (talking) on one I wonder hmmmmmmmmm-------

Oxbow and spyder7723 Thank this.
  8. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Holding a conversation in public is not rude unless it's disruptive or otherwise interferes with the business of others, and that applies equally to conversations with other people physically present or over the phone. There's no real reason to consider it otherwise.

JReding and TravR1 Thank this.
  9. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I don't think it is all about (conversations) alone. I'm OK with banter, that has been a part of Americana for years. A conversation does not necessarily have to be disruptive either. Context is the important thing. Example. I could have a political conversation either pro Trump or Anti Trump, be speaking in general volume level and just as sure as I am writing this my friend and I are going to set somebody off. To be honest I sometime wince when these conversations start. I guess what I am trying to say is there are things that should be discussed in private. When conversations that should be in private or at greatly reduced volume are openly spoken they can be disruptive and I have seen fights. I was sitting at a place with a friend just the other day when two woman were talking rather loud about their monthly cycles. Both of us kind of got finished a bit early and left. I'm not going to try to say all public conversations are rude, because their not. However high volumes and improper conversation topics in my opinion are.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I personally have to agree, and I refuse to do this until I’m away from bystanders.

“Hey, look at me. I’m so important and better than everybody else that I feel they should have to hear my business”. :rolleyes:

Oxbow, Lepton1 and spyder7723 Thank this.
  11. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Does that mean that you don't carry on any conversation in any public place? You don't talk to your wife in public?

JReding Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.