why do so many truckers wear headphones?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by denton, Aug 2, 2011.

1. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Most people consider it rude to carry on personal conversations in person that disrupt business. No difference.

It's just like the receiving clerk who ignores you for several minutes while she talks to the billing clerk about her weekend. Rude behavior is rude behavior, whether it involves technology or not.

stwik and Lepton1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Ok, then how is the yahoo doing the same thing with nobody else present any different?

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  4. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    That's exactly my point. There is no difference.

All I'm saying is that talking on the phone in public is no different than talking to another person in public. There are certainly ways to do it rudely, and there are ways to do it without it being a breach of etiquette. Suggesting that a phone or a headset has no place being used outside of the truck is no different than telling you that you shouldn't talk with your wife in public, wait until you are back in your car or at home.

JReding Thanks this.
  5. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I agree that there are absolutely inappropriate times to be on the phone in public.

That being said, I ALWAYS take a call from dispatch or from the shipper, receiver, or my wife. In the case of dispatch, that's my life blood. If I don't take that call it can mean that I drop from first on the board to last. Or it can mean that a critical customer may make another call that opens the door to a competitor. Those are bad options. A phone call can mean thousands of dollars to me.

If anyone is getting bent out of shape because I take a call in public, then methinks they are too focused on small matters. You don't know whether that call is critical or not. If I take a call while in a check out line I get out of line as necessary to allow that business to do their business.

The folks I think are rude or inconsiderate are those that DON'T use a Bluetooth, while talking on speaker phone. I don't need to hear both sides of the conversation.

TravR1 and JReding Thank this.
  6. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

You sir are the exception. Congratulations. ;) with the whole normal conversation setting level of noise. Shame a lot of people don't follow that thinking. An insist on being loud and rude.

My favorite is when people stand in line, then get mad at the cashier cause they interrupted their phone call. Sometimes you just have to take that call, I get it. I just don't like the people who are loud and obnoxious about it. You know the ones in a loud argument with wife/husband/babymama/drug dealer(that one was hilarious.), etc etc. Or the ones who have to shout at the top of their lungs that they have herpes and that their latest hooker cost to much. Hell it's the same with people talking loudly in public.

An the headphones the OP started with ...I see it a lot also, big ### headsets.I'm not talking ear buds here. More like older headphones for a stereo or gaming headsets. Walking in a truck stop or store with them on, an the cord dangling. Rather amusing. They usually also have on flip flops. They also usually fall into the loud part. People quietly carrying on their conversation..wtf do I care. I only care if your loud about it.

What really pisses me off? Is when you get interested in the conversation, an then they leave. :( It's like a to be continued, that never will be.

In the grand scheme of things...its not a big issue, but still annoying. Like not saying thank you when someone gets the door for you. Yet they always say something if you let it slam them in the kisser. Go figure. ;)

Sirscrapntruckalot -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

funnytrafficsign.png

7. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Everybody is always soooooo worried about the next person on truckers report.

KillingTime and ChaoSS Thank this.
  8. Buster Churry

Buster Churry Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Up The Road
    I wear mine everywhere so people don’t think I’m crazy when I talk to myself.

TravR1 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  9. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    A guy who lives in my building is crazy and talks to himself. Full blown arguments with himself...

Then if you say “hey____” and start talking to him he snaps right out of it. It’s pretty funny, he’s totally harmless and a nice dude. Just has an imaginary friend or something lol.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  10. Buster Churry

Buster Churry Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Up The Road
    I never argue with myself. It’s a no win situation. Usually, I just tell myself jokes

Fuelinmyveins and Fold_Moiler Thank this.
  11. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    When I drove team pulling radioactive I wore headphones so I didn’t blast the radio so my partner could sleep. I never got into a wreck or had any close calls. If having headphones in impairs your driving you shouldn’t drive truck. Head should be on a swivel not starring down the road. I did this for 6 years teaming. I did this 5-6 years linehaul thru Wyoming every night pulling Rocky Mountain doubles. If I didn’t have a cam in the truck I’d do this now if I’m on the interstate cause the headphones have quality sound. But my cam only allows one ear covered for Bluetooth if it goes off. If you have two ears covered your in trouble. I have over million miles+ safe never had a close close call cause of headphones. It’s stupid law.

JReding and Lepton1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.