Why do some trucking companies require truckers to remove the mudflaps on tractor when hauling...

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by expedite_it, Jul 4, 2015.

1. expedite_it

expedite_it Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Why do some trucking companies require truckers to remove the mudflaps on the tractor when the tractor is hauling container trailers?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    Because the flap hangers get caught on the landing gear. Its not just container companies. I've seen doubles with the flaps stored forward of the drives. End dumps and logging trucks too. Basically any situation where the flaps or hangers have a high loss rate.

4. Getsinyourblood

Getsinyourblood Road Train Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Retired. North Texas
    I agree with Keith. With some specialty trailers, no matter how far you have the tractor fifth wheel slid back, when you make a sharp turn, the mudflaps and brackets will make contact with the trailer landing gear and damage those mudflaps/brackets.

And if you have a very strict Safety Department, you just had a chargeable accident.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  5. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    not to mention you get tired of replacing them

6. 315wheelbase

315wheelbase Heavy Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    never heard of that,,it is good if you can remove your flaps when pulling trailers,,

7. PayCheck

PayCheck Medium Load Member

Jan 21, 2012
    ca
    You only pull the mud flaps off if you need to. If you tear them off because of the trailer your pulling the next set you put on will be detachable.

I tore a mud flap off one time, most of the time you can get the fithwheel back far enough but not always.

8. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    We have to do that with one stepdeck and our dovetail. Also with our lowboys because you want to get as close to the neck as possible to get the weight on the steer. Some stretches we have, have got a 30" kingpin and that puts you too close to the landing gear for the mud flaps.

9. PayCheck

PayCheck Medium Load Member

Jan 21, 2012
    ca
    Use to pull a bulk tanker where I could scale out legal with the fithwheel all the way to the front. I'd load out get to the on ramp stop and move it a the way up.

After I got past the scale I'd move it back agian. You could drive strait fine but you couldn't turn.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.