Why do tarps get pinched so easily?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Jacoooooooo, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Jacoooooooo

Jacoooooooo Heavy Load Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Stupid question. Of course properly prepared load with blankets and corner protectors shouldn’t hurt tarps, but...

...still. They beat me every time.

How about you guys? Do quick patches from eBay even work?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Trick is not to use them, or

Just keep using an old patched up ratty one that’s been on the truck forever. Nothing seems to hurt them?

There can be a huge quality difference in tarps too. You usualy get what you pay for in tarps I think?

4. Jacoooooooo

Oct 20, 2013
    You are right. The beat up ones seem too be ok with whatever you throw them on. I have no luck with new ones though... only had experience with Deroche brand so far.

Also, I’ve noticed that the longer the trip is the bigger the chance tarp will give up. I often go coast to coast and have some partials to tarp. Seems like redoing the tarp mid-way is something I should add to my schedule.

5. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    What's doing the pinching? Do you strap over or under? If under, shouldn't be any pinching. If over, you're doing it wrong. JMO

6. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    You can patch tarps with extra vinyl and a special kind of cement glue. Some load are better strapped over the tarp to help prevent flapping, some loads are far better to tie down first.

Just got to be careful when running bungees, some d-rings are better skipped if they’re going to cause downward pressure on a corner/angle. Sometimes you need to run a bungee in the other direction in order not to promote tension on a corner.

Tb0n3 and Jacoooooooo Thank this.
  7. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    What do you mean pinching?

8. Jacoooooooo

Oct 20, 2013
    Thanks, great advice.

9. Jacoooooooo

Oct 20, 2013
    Mostly under. Only load I recall strapping over was onions. Sharp corners and sometimes edges are usually the cause.

It means that a hole apers on a tarp.
    Very frustrating.

10. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    The question about what you meant is that a lot of people use the term pinching to refer to the damage that happens to a tarp under a strap.

Common causes of tarp damage is pinching between the straps and the load (if you do it that way), sharp edges that are not padded out, and loose tarps that flap in the wind or slap against straps or product. Semi sharp corners that someone left a little loose to avoid damage tend to flap and cause more damage than if they had been pulled nice and tight.

Tb0n3, kylefitzy and Jacoooooooo Thank this.
  11. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Old school trucker taught me to use a hammer to gently beat down corners on crated freight. I’ve done it a couple of times after asking permission

Lepton1 and stwik Thank this.
  12. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    I know OP, It's a darn shame isn't it?
    You gotta have an Army of Moving blankets to get your monies worth on tarps- No other way around it.
    Its frustrating seeing a 6 inch tear once you get to your destination,Almost like you wanna throw that tarp right in trhe dumpster- Or Yell at the Customer-lol.....

Load up on Blankets- Never have too many.

Actually....The Devil is Bungee straps- They are the DEVIL-
    Why?????

Their either too long or too short when your securing- They always break when your tying down- They Get Hung up on stuff when you don't want them too..And Fall off D rings when your trying to secure under the trailers crossmembers- They Don't Store away Easy-Unless you just Toss em in the tarp before you fold. When you try to "Speed" bungee- They always get hung up on something.

They Are the Devil- Im Waiting for one to snap back and Rip my eye Out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.