Why do tarps get pinched so easily?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Jacoooooooo, Apr 18, 2018.

1. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I agree. Loose tarps can wear on the softest stuff.

Getting the top tight should help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Our tarps last for years. But we don’t haul oddball stuff either. The tighter they are, the better. Strapping over the tarps here will get you a buttchewing.

Thanks to the ones who clarified what I meant. In my mind pinching happens when you strap over the tarp. Easy solution, stop doing it. Lol.

Tb0n3, cke and stwik Thank this.
  4. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    I always find it intriguing reading these tarp threads and it just reinforces my decision to never wanna haul stuff requiring tarps.

Lepton1, fargonaz, cke and 1 other person Thank this.
  5. Opendeck

Opendeck Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    Other than moving blankets, what can you use for tarp padding? Buddy at the tarp shop suggested anti friction mats, like a 4 foot square of rubber

cke Thanks this.
  6. stwik

stwik Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2017
    USA USA USA!!!
    Felt padding and some tape can go a long way. Leftover old tarps? Cut them up and use as padding. You could even cut up extra straps and tape them to the edges of crates.

Felt padding goes a long way, imo. It’s thick and can be bent extremely easily to fit odd ends/corners.

cke and Opendeck Thank this.
  7. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Carpeting can work really well for the really sharp edges, but it takes up a lot of room.

cke and Opendeck Thank this.
  8. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Nothing requiring tape- Takes too long- youre already at an hour and a half to Strap n tarp- Don't add extra time-Especially if 90% of your freight requires a tarp.

Something quick to protect the edges- I mean you can go start inspecting-and determining your edges and start taping up foam or whatever- you'll get sick n tired of that noise quick.

Especially the "Shopping cart" Loads with different lengths and shapes of steel.

Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  9. Opendeck

Opendeck Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    I'll have to find some felt, I haven't tried that yet

10. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    If it’s a porcupine load, I charge double to tarp it. But I will take the time to protect the tarps if I agree to one. Heck I’ve called and asked for more money after seeing said porcupine.

I don’t haul those Menards loads. No money in that in my opinion. Guy I’m leased to used to haul them all the time. I think they use the tarps to hold the load on? No way to strap all that stuff down correctly.

xsetra, cke, stayinback and 2 others Thank this.
  11. Michael H

Michael H Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
    I use old carpet cut into 18”x48” strips. I store them on top of a tool box and run a strap around the box. I also cut old straps into pieces I store in a toolbox. I also have an assortment of old carpet mats I keep in a toolbox.

However, some of these loads are just determined to find a way to tear my tarps!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.