Why do they ask you if you smoke?

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Brandonpdx, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Pretty straightforward. Why are they wanting to know this? I've spoken to a recruiter with Swift and she sent me an email requesting a couple of personal references and an emergency contact, but the first question on this page was "Do you smoke?" or "Are you a smoker?" (Can't recall the exact phrasing). Questions like this kind of tick me off actually, because you always wonder in the back of your mind if this is some corporate BS looking to discriminate against people based on their answer.

What's the thoughts on this? The more sanctimonious and uptight the answers the better!

scottied67 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    They are trying to eliminate smoking in the trucking industry. Smoking is a major cause of distracted driving. Studies have shown that people who smoke get less REM sleep, have higher cholesterol, cardio-pulmonary problems, deep vein thrombosis, and a myriad of other health issues which costs the company more to provide health insurance. Smokers often suffer from debilitating depression, anger, anxiety and other mental disorders which were not present in their lives before becoming horribly addicted tobacco junkies. The American Truck Alliance has funded research that shows the vast majority of trucking job hoppers are smokers, the reason being that they are generally not happy with a life of addiction to nicotine and tobacco and are in constant search of 'something new' when the true answer would be a simple to any monkey is to quit burning tobacco in front of your face and sucking in the poisons. The American Lung Association Annual Bi-Monthly Report offered that smokers often have a smaller network of friends in life which may be a contributing factor in their shorter lives not to mention directly inhaling nasty poisons into their bodies and exhaling and forcing their immediate neighbors to ignorant suffering. Smoking cigarettes produces .08% of the pollution of a truck idling for 8 hours. Many municipalities are banning fires in your fireplace at home and eliminating smoking inside the home is on the agenda of the smoking-control political establishment.Truckers typically flick their still hot butts out the window while driving and if a fire results the company could be held responsible for all damages.

In short it's better all around for them to hire non-smokers. The companies have heard the Chris Rock PSA on Not Gun Control But Bullet Control wherein if you really want to stop gun crimes, sell bullets for $5000 each. Smoking Control advocates are lobbying to increase the price of a unit of tobacco to such an exhorbitant price that no one could afford the privilege of poisoning themselves, others and especially contributing to Global Heating with their wasteful,obnoxious, noxious, tobacco drug addiction which is the gateway drug to full blown heroin use as has been proven in study after study by the American Institution of Concerned Social Scientists.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
    Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  4. OTR48+C

OTR48+C Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Companies don't care that much about drivers! one of the reason is that will take some time to find a mentor for a student to choose a non-smoking mentor.
    Unfortunately most of the truck drivers smoke.

Aamcotrans and Lonewolf2000 Thank this.
  5. fallinangel

fallinangel Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Branford Florida
    smokeing leads to heroin addiction LOL what a crock been smokeing over 45 years and never once have had the urge to do heroin or any other type of drug or drink so your study is a crock people make there own decisions in life it they choose drugs that is there choice not the cigs

Opus, Lonewolf2000, sdaniel and 5 others Thank this.
  6. DickJones

DickJones Road Train Member

Aug 16, 2010

well my study shows that eating fast food 2x a day for 5 yrs does the samething to ya. And how does the "study" know what disorders were and were not present BEFORE they started smoking? Most smokers, i'm guessing, started smoking back in their teens. Which for most truck drivers has been over half their lives....and for a select few, means they've been smoking for 7/8ths of their lives. and for even more of those....199/200th of their lives. (nah just messin')

eliminate smoking from the trucking industry will be like eliminating coffee......wont happen.

7. DickJones

DickJones Road Train Member

Aug 16, 2010
    smoking leads to heroin addiction, which leads to a life of crime which leads to running over school kids with your car which leads to downloading movies off the internet and selling them in truck stops for $20 for 5:biggrin_25517:

8. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Brandon, that is something new in societies quest to stop smoking everywhere. I never heard of such a thing in the past. And since a recruiter will lie to you in a heartbeat, a personal question like that he wouldn't get an honest answer either. Because we all know it won't be used in your favor if you smoke.

Well scottied, there are a million things that cause health problems including the Mt Dew chuggers, buffet eaters, coffee drinkers, alcohol and drug users including over the counter medicines. The fact our arcadia rythym is constantly interrupted affects our REM sleep. Singling out smokers is just a cop out.

Most companies provide group insurance policies at reduced rates because the large numbers they direct towards one's insurance company. They pay no out of pocket expenses. The driver pays 100% of his policy.

The friend thing is BS and has nothing to do with social networks. I have just as many nonsmoking friends as I do smokers. Not everyone turns their nose up towards smokers.

Distracted driving? lol. Lighting a cigarette is a repetetive motion that can be done in the dark with a blind fold on. Cigarettes are known to calm nerves. As you know there is alot of stress in the trucking industry. Smokers have an edge over nonsmokers.

Blaming cigarettes on job hopping is another BS statement as we all know the majority of the problems are pay, hometime and dispatcher issues. A study to say smokers quit more? Duh! Most truckers smoke. Of course if you ask a driver hopping jobs, the answer is yes. There is a direct correlation between an employee age, being married and having good credit with job longevity. That is a fact, the other is speculation.

Companies getting in trouble for brush fires? From my knowledge, a cigarette has to smolder for about an hour even before flames errupt. I wonder what anti-cigarette nazi's stop and watch for an hour to find and watch a thrown out cigarette to make accusations? The number one reason for wild fires is unattended camp fires.

Out of all the smokers out there, you might find less than 1% that use heroin. Sure 99% of heroin users smoke. All Apples are fruit. All fruit are not apples. Another preposterous statement.

We all know now cigarettes are bad for you. Some of the same people against cigarettes now are some of the same people promoting cigarette usage prior to the mid-80's, yet they won't accept any responsibility.

You can tell a non-smoker that is strongly against smokers. They grasp at straws to prove a point. Most kids smoke because their parents smoke. Most parents smoke because they come from a period where society said it was cool and okay to smoke.

I'd continue, but I need a heroin fix! :) brb

9. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    actually coffee is back to not being bad for you (this decade)

10. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    You might see in the next decade that smoking tobacco products is actually safer than electronic cigarettes. New generation drinkers don't drink, they aspirate their alcohol in mist form now. Enterprising experimenters are snorting fancy bath salts too. By 2020 health advocates may wistfully look back with longing to the days of tobacco addiction.

fr8monkey Thanks this.
  11. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    There definately will be a big dent in the smokers. Society is finally waking up and the rest is left up to the newer generations as some smokers just can't quit. The best way is not to start. Eventially there will be someone that doesn't want to quit that will have no choice. Someone like me it would take getting stranded on a remote island to quit. I'd probably smoke palm leaves or something for awhile.

Tb0n3, Big Don and scottied67 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.