Why do trucks monitor barometric pressure?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by texasmorrell, Sep 14, 2019.

1. texasmorrell

texasmorrell Medium Load Member

May 3, 2012
    Lone Star State
    is that reading important for some components?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Yes it is. Not so much at or around sea level but in higher altitudes it takes more fuel to make the same power because of the lower amount of oxygen in the air.

It's can also be used to check other pressure sensors on the engine for accuracy.

pushbroom, Heavyd and texasmorrell Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Oh yes indeed.

Get up into Eisenhower at about 11800 feet or so. She knows what adjustments to make to boost horsies up and over out of Steamboat.

texasmorrell Thanks this.
  5. texasmorrell

May 3, 2012
    Lone Star State
    I’ve noticed my barometric pressure reading on the truck is different from what the weather service says it is at my location. Is that a problem?

6. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    How much are we talking? Typically the engine will be looking for changes in the pressure during operation. What truck and where are you reading the pressure being displayed? If the engine sees an issue with the sensor far enough out of range it will likely log a fault code, so no I would not be worried. Depending on the engine it may even be a calculated value from other components.

7. texasmorrell

May 3, 2012
    Lone Star State
    My truck says 25.54 but NWS says 30.09

8. texasmorrell

May 3, 2012
    Lone Star State
    It’s an 09 Prostar with an ISX. I’m getting the barometer reading from my BlueFire while running down the road.

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Not necessarily. If I took off after setting Baro at Searcy Airport and went into say... Little Rock General Aviation, the pressure there on take off will be different. Because the atmosphere is slightly different there. To a plane if your Baro pressure setting is correct as provided to you by Approach as a check to your landing runway's altitude your plane will know where it is and how high.

Trucks try to keep that stuff away from Flipflop Diploma Holders who lick windows in a attempt to escape their gilded cages.

10. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    With that engine the difference in pressure readings is the least of your problems.......

AModelCat Thanks this.
  11. texasmorrell

May 3, 2012
    Lone Star State
    Does anyone know if the ambient air temperature sensor and the barometric pressure sensor on the Prostar are together in the same sensor? My ambient air temp sensor has crapped out and no longer sending readings.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.