Why do you like the company you drive for?

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Frank Speak, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    We all know that one person’s trash is another’s gold and vice versus. With that said, what keeps you where you are?

Please tell us where you work and why you like working there. I think this thread has the potential to be a great starting point for folks doing research.

Again, let’s keep this to why we LIKE the company we work for. There’s enough negativity on this forum without adding any. Lol

I work for May Trucking Company. I like May because:

1. I get paid decent (.47 cpm @ avg. 3000 miles per week)

2. They leave me alone to do my job (I can go a week or better and never talk to my DM).

3. There are no cameras or other tattle tale crap on their trucks.

p.s. It’s probably been at least 150 years since I come across so many extremely nice necks!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Coolbreezin

Coolbreezin Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2016
    Florida
    I wont state where I work,but Ill tell you that I am a local driver and I work intermodal. They treat the drivers and office people well. They dont force dispatch and even dont mind if you work part time. They pay well and keep us rolling.

Lonesome and born&raisedintheusa Thank this.
  4. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    My boss lets me do whatever I like.

BigBob410 Thanks this.
  5. 2Girls_1Truck

2Girls_1Truck Medium Load Member

May 18, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I’ve done a variety of jobs, linehaul, long haul, LTL, local, drayage, reefers and vans.

Currently hauling a reefer, as a team.

I love:

Knowing what day I’ll be home (7 day trips, so leave on a Sunday and return the following the Sunday).

Freedom to take up to 5 days off for every 7 day stretch.

Freedom to take a few weeks off as long as truck is making good miles for the few preceding months.

Great pay (we share .62 per mile, plus other bonuses amounting to an extra .08 per mile). Miles above 10,800 in a 2 week period are paid at $.84 (“overtime”, I guess)

Predictable earnings

No contact from the company except preplans coming through the satellite. Occasionally a road condition update (we run a lot of Eastern Canada and are based in Atlantic Canada)

They give us $500 per year to spend on uniforms, so I’m not ruining my clothes in the truck anymore. Added bonus: when I walk on a dock now, no one asks me if I’m lost.

Great benefits, paid by the company. 5% match on my RRSP ( Canadian equivalent of a 401K), so 10% of my salary each year is being invested for retirement and I only pay 5%.

Good equipment. All trucks are 2015 or newer, single’s have APU, all have inverters with shore power.

Best of all: opportunities to advance out of the truck, or into other parts of the business. We have guys who haul two 53’; do local work; courier work; shunt work; run the triangle to New England up to Ontario back o the maritimes, teams doing what we do (2x a week to SC from Nova Scotia). I’m hoping to make my way into safety or recruiting at some point soon, as I have a university degree plus a decade and well over 2m verified miles accident free.

6. AZ Pete

AZ Pete Medium Load Member

Dec 27, 2017
    I like the company I work for because my boss is the greatest guy to work for in the world and me and him are on the same page about everything.

born&raisedintheusa and Bakerman Thank this.
  7. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    Because$$$$...oh and a steady stream of new trucks!

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  8. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ha ha, same here.

9. HighwayD

HighwayD Light Load Member

Nov 15, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    I work for a company called Davidson Brothers. It's a small company in Bellefonte, Pa. They're just big enough to have some stability (around 30 trucks) but small enough that it's tight knit.

Making around 70,000 a year every year since I started in 2013 and good benefits. Really old trucks and trailers but if you can deal with that it's a great place to work.

10. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Never would have thought May operated like that.
    I thought they were just another run of the mill mega.
    You never know.

11. sirjeff

sirjeff Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Kelowna, BC
    I like the outfit im hooked on to because I have steady, predictable work and am home weekends and swing by home every other day.. Im able to stay in relatively good shape by working MY ### off instead of being a lazy truck potato and wearing my truck out for nothing. I pull a nice conestoga for a non gouging percentage - and the owner is very smart, resourceful, and has his hands on everything. Small company with strong family values, mutual respect, and transparency. His company trucks are sweet and command a second (or 3rd) look. And mine gets the lions share of what it brings in.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.