Why do you like the company you drive for?

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Frank Speak, Mar 9, 2018.

1. metallifreak10

metallifreak10 Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Wishing I was in Alaska
    I like my company for several reasons. I'm off weekends, home every day, and only work 45 hours per week. I deliver auto-parts, and It's not very hard work. The truck I drive is only 3 years old, and they take care of issues pretty fast.

I get 3 weeks of paid vacation, 7 holidays, and make about $65,000 per year. I'm going on 6 years, and am gonna continue as long as they let me keep working for them.

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Swedish Chef

Swedish Chef Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    I like where I work because I make 46¢ per mile, and usually get around 2500 miles a week, all while being home every weekend for 48-60+ hours, and I can usually take my 10 at home once or twice during the week. I get along well with my dispatcher and most of the office personnel. I drive a late model, well maintained truck that’s nicely furnished with company provided XM radio, fridge, 1500W inverter, Bose seat, and DirecTV. All of our trailers are newer and in great shape, I am usually hooked up to a 2016 or newer trailer. We also do about 70% drop and hook which really helps keep the wheels turning.

born&raisedintheusa and Rugerfan Thank this.
  4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    nobody bothers me, boss number one is in Ohio, boss number 2 is in CT and only visits us when he needs to have some sort of company meeting onsite.

we work nights, have assigned trucks/trailers, that are as well cared for as possible thru the leasing company we have, if they cannot fix it ASAP, we get another truck, free of charge. we do not have to do any repairs, we are told NO MATTER WHAT, call for road service, or when back at the customers warehouse, drive by Penske. we cannot even change a light bulb, although i have especially a headlight as there are no highway lights on my route.

i prefer also not to mention the company name, but they specialize in dedicated work.

5. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    The compensation and benefits are excellent , work is easy and the unpaid labor is nil.
    Home 4 of 5 nights a wk.

It's Shorter than the list of things I don't enjoy but at the end of the week, the money is the deciding factor for me.
    Our average wage is 90k+

6. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Our guys like the money...hourly pay with OT. We also have a longevity bonus and a safety bonus.
    Grocery store gift card on Thanksgiving and Christmas.
    401K also.
    They like the benefits. We cover the driver's insurance cost and if his family wants covered the cost is minimal. We figure it's worth it for the company to eat the costs if we can keep a good crew.
    Getting home, usually every night, is a big plus. We have mostly day cabs and if a driver has to stay out we cover his motel.
    We run E-logs but no cameras.
    Good shop. When a driver comes in he writes up what's wrong with the truck. It gets fixed, it gets fixed that night, and it gets fixed right. Maintenance doesn't cost nearly as much as down time.
    The trucks and trailers are in good shape. Each driver has an assigned tractor and post trips on dropped trailers are mandatory.
    We're a small outfit and everybody knows everybody else. All of our office people. except the ladies, are former drivers. A lot of people here have worked together for over twenty years. We have three families with three generations working here, two families on the road, and one in the shop. Most people stay here until they retire.
    The drivers like the variety of hauling we do. The only things we don't haul are van freight, reefers, cars, containers, and livestock. Everybody has their favorite thing to haul but everybody is also cross trained on every type of trailer we have.
    I don't mean this to sound like we're some kind of Trucker Heaven. We have our share of problems and screwups just like any other outfit. Some of the guys don't get along with each other so we try to keep them seperated. When we can't keep them seperated the job still gets done. If one of them comes in with knuckle-bumps we don't ask about it. What happens in the woods stays in the woods. The flatbedders do constant tarping in the winter. If they're running local they might tarp as many as four loads of lumber a day. We spend a lot of time in the mountains on snow and in the mud. Lots of chaining up, sometime multiple times a day. When we're busy we're butting right up against our hours and since our hours fall under the California intrastate rule some days...and weeks...get awful long.
    Do the guys grumble? Yes they do. But what they're grumbling at is the weather, the traffic, ding-bat customers, the shape the roads are in, and all the usual stuff drivers put up with.
    I hear very little grumbling about anything else.

Dan.S and born&raisedintheusa Thank this.
  7. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Indiana
    work atmosphere
    money
    benefits
    home daily no weekends
    paid holidays, vac, sick time etc

all around great place to work. mgmnt is awesome and the company is personable. everywhere i go i am remembered by name. even if it has been months since my last visit.

8. Vic Firth

Vic Firth Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Indiana
    Lots of positive comments!

9. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    $24.00 an hour, time and a half after 40, never more than an hour from the plant, all newer equipment, home every night, no weekends, a company that actually listens when I have a problem, or concern, decent benefits, a laid back boss, who tells me what needs to be done, and then lets me do it.

Frank Speak Thanks this.
  10. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Willl any of this change with the merger?

11. Westwardho

Westwardho Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2018
    May is low, low, low

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.