Why hasn't some smart company taken advantage of Wal Mart DC locations?

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Farmerbob1, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Every time I get stuck in a Wal Mart, and waste nearly half a day waiting on their glacial unloading, I wonder why no company has taken advantage of what Wal Mart has done.

What has Wal Mart done?

They have set up a huge distribution network, mostly near major roads, but at the same time so far from civilization that they got the land dirt cheap.

This means that most Wal Mart DC's have no nearby truck stop to serve them.

Some trucking company or truck stop company should start buying up land directly across the street from Wal Mart DC's in the middle of nowhere, and setting up a dedicated hub to serve the DC, for all drivers.

Imagine, a drop yard, trailer washout, and light mechanical service, with a restaurant and truck parking right across from these DC's in the middle of nowhere.

Paid parking. It's worth it at most Wal Mart DCs. Offer a drop and hook service, where a shag driver would take your load over to the DC at the scheduled time, for a fee. This would let every Wal-Mart load be a drop and hook for the shipper. That by itself would be amazing.

The washout would do no pretty boy truck washes. Strictly washout work.

Put a Waffle House at these DC service lots. Decent food. Decent selection. Reasonable prices. The employees of the DC typically have no local food they can buy, so a decent place to get food would see a lot of DC employee business as well as truckers.

So many Wal Mart DC's in such horrible places, I can't believe Loves, or one of the major carriers hasn't recognized the absurdly huge profit potential.

delta5, bigkev1115 and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    I've always wondered the same thing.
    You could simply charge 10 bucks to park for
    24 hours and sit on your ### and count the money.

Don't even bother spending 10 million to build
    A truck stop.
    Couple port a johns and dumpsters and your
    all set.

4. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    A washout would also see heavy use. I'd pay 40 bucks to get a washout straight out of a DC, and no need to drive extra miles to my next load.

5. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Let's raise money. This could work. Even better than starting a trucking carrier with no backing. I'd love to cook trucker sized food. For a great deal. Almost rather cook than truck anyways now with current regulations.

6. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    Good luck getting approved by local zoning boards for such an endeavor. I've read several articles over the years talking about how hard it is and how long it takes to get a truck stop licensed. If it can even be done in many locations. Neighbors will whine and cry about "the crime and filth" that truckstops bring. The N.I.M.B.Y. mindset will rear it's ugly head quick went you approach local officials with idea in most areas. You gotta have deep pockets and the patience of Job to get it done these days. It is a great idea. And much needed. But will not be easy in most areas.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Forget the waffle house, they be thugging...

Trench32125, Onemanshow and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  8. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Having been involved with real estate and property in rural areas, I know why there are few if any truck facilities... One word covers it all, ZONING. Truck stops and such are usually one of the first things on the not allowed list in most townships and or parishes.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  9. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Hmm. Are truck stops mostly stopped because of restrictions on fuel storage? If so, don't sell fuel from fuel pumps. Keep a fuel truck, registered to a service company, on site for reefer fueling and emergency fuel for trucks. Establish the company running the fuel truck somewhere else in the state.

The big win for any large carrier that established such a depot yard would be that EVERY Wal-Mart load of theirs would instantly become a drop and hook. The trailers of the owning company would also be washed cheaply.

And best of all? Because the services you built the place to provide are not just used by you, the other truckers and trucking companies would help pay the expenses, making it more profitable.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  10. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    They will probably start with making you have a environmental study done, looking at run off from a storm, with all the pee, poop, leaked oil, trash, you have a huge mountain to climb first off, then if you get by all of a sudden a rare rat will all of a sudden become a concern. Parking is needed for more than just wallmart, if you find a large parcel of land with easy access to the roads and close to where everyone needs to be it would take so much stress away from many, then have reserved parking so you can use that for trip planning.

Farmerbob1 and MrEd Thank this.
  11. CK73

CK73 Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Question is, why hasn't Wal-Mart already got involved in the truck stop bidness? The cheap land is right across the street as OP says, and boy do they know how to defeat local objections when building stores and DC's. If they haven't done it probably it's not that great of an idea, or maybe it's a great idea but only super deep pockets can do it, and soon as they do, WM will swoop in and finish the job. Guaranteed.

Farmerbob1 and DoubleO7 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.