Why I Avoid Grocery Warehouses

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by izifaddag, Sep 22, 2017.

1. izifaddag

izifaddag Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2010
    This is an Americold in Pennsylvania.
    I will not be treated this way.
    Apparently according to one member here picking and choosing these wonderful middle of the night loads makes me and anyone like me a 'pansy', 'lazy' and 'only wanting the easy loads'/
    I think some might say I am trying to maintain a little, just a little, dignity.
    21686252_1504595209622806_3427707359424849691_n.jpg

x1Heavy, Grubby, BoyWander and 6 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Where's the picture? OK, it just posted!
    Grocery warehouses and places like Americold hire the scum of the local populace. They're truly the village idiots of the area. It's like a breath of fresh air dealing with flatbed and tanker customers. If you've ever seen the movie, "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest", that is a good example of grocery warehouse employees mentality.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    Grubby, BoyWander, Pepper24 and 10 others Thank this.
  4. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    You should put up your own sign with your demands!!

5. izifaddag

Apr 26, 2010
    You are so right China. I think the answer is simple. Refuse these loads.
    Quite possibly with the ELDs coming in this might stop somewhat. I try and avoid them and have done for the last 5 years. I have been making a living.

Lepton1 and mhyn Thank this.
  6. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    I was 5 minutes late to Walmart affer driving in a blizzard. Company even called and gave a heads up. I sat in their break room for 10 hours. No lying ans since I couldn't sleep was forced to take a second 10 hour.

Getsinyourblood and izifaddag Thank this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I went to one in Ohio one time and the guy in the receiving office gave me the wrong door number. I backed in and waited. Finally they said they gave me the wrong door number, so now I'm late because I'm in the wrong door and to reschedule for tomorrow. I though he was joking, but he was serious and that's what I had to do.
    After that I quickly learned "payback" from other reefer drivers. I became an expert at short stacking and putting maybe 50 extra pallets on the trailer to sell. Made a game out of it, just for entertainment. Treat me with respect and keep it businesslike and I'll return the respect. Do something stupid, and payback can be costly because my heart turns ice cold at that point.

Grubby, BoyWander, TripleSix and 5 others Thank this.
  8. Alaska76

Alaska76 Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Inland Empire, WA
    I simply would never do refer, end of story.

9. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    I sold my reefer in 2005 ...
    since that day no walgreens, no targets, no SVC, no no mclanes if they will not pay good, no other big grocery whses. I do only wal-marts. I have dry van since 2005

heartlessangel7 Thanks this.
  10. izifaddag

Apr 26, 2010
    You guys and me think alike.
    It is a balancing act. It is between being treated civilly, money difficulty and much more.
    It isn't only about money.
    I have received a lot of flak in another thread by several idiots who fancy themselves tough guys and are willing to take any insult, put up with any garbage, drive themselves into the ground so as to make vast sums of money.
    I am happy with making enough so I can do things more or less the way I want them to go. That is why I invested a lot of money in equipment and maintain it.
    Not to sacrifice myself solely in the name of a fat bank account. It is also to do with freedom, control and respect.

11. izifaddag

Apr 26, 2010
    Bought one - under pressure - last year. Sold it less than 6 months later. Even the guy who bought it got it has a spread move. He prefers dry vans. He just wants the capability.
    It is a liability on wheels.
    It could be good if you are geared up for it but I think it is more trouble than it is worth.

mhyn Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.