Why I will never give Gibson another penny!

Discussion in 'Other News' started by FlaSwampRat, Sep 13, 2019.

1. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    PRS guitars are easily some of the nicest money can buy and often overlooked. Same with music Man. While not cheap they are 10x the guitar you get from anyone else.

Shock Therapy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Shock Therapy

Shock Therapy Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2016
    n.cntrl il
    At one time I did own a actual "79 Dean ML" which I wish I still owned! It's neck seemed too be custom designed for my Jimmy Dean like fingers!

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  4. Snow Monster

Snow Monster Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2019
    Gibson and Fender are riding the nostalgia wave by buying up legendary old tech, boutique'ing the products and capitalizing on it big time.
    Gretsch, Sunn, ............ (memory lapse)............, many others, are all owned by Gibson and Fender, capitalism and opportunism at it's finest.

When I was a young bass player I had a big "F" stamped on my forehead showing my brand loyalty to Fender.
    "From my cold dead hands!"

As time progressed I broke the faith and started putting my hands on other basses and I became weak.
    Warwick, Spector, MM, G&L, Aria, Modulus, Dingwall, F Bass, Sadowsky, Mike Lull, the list goes on and on.
    "Take my Fender, Please!"

Today I don't even look at a Fender or Gibson guitar and would never consider buying one, they all look the same, no allure whatsoever.

Maybe if I was a collector, or wore a big G or F on my forehead.
    If it had mojo, definitely, as I would buy any instrument that had mojo.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  5. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    I had the big G stamped on my head for most of my life and now realize that I'm a idiot for it. I missed out on playing a lot of good guitars over the years because they weren't a Gibson. I have become a big Dean fan in recent years, they make mid level guitars as good or better than Gibson or fenders high end stuff in my opinion. I played a music Man stingray bass a while back and I think I know what perfection is now lol.... easily the nicest feeling instrument I have ever handled.

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Maybe back in the day Fender and Gibson set the standards for quality. Today with CNC routers and stuff everything seems to be pretty on par IMO.

I bought a kit guitar from Solo last year. One of those kits you paint the body and assemble it. Strat style, basswood body, maple neck, maple fretboard, triple single coils. Cost $150 Cdn. Thing plays as well as my $850 Mexican built Fender Strat HSS. Sounds pretty good too. I was going to swap the triple single coils over to a single DiMarzio Tone Zone humbucker but I really like the way it sounds through my 100 watt single channel Peavey.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  7. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    They seem to use cheaper materials now too. I have a 94ish Les Paul studio that has a nicer flame top on it than most standards do now.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I will say my Mexican Strat is probably the heaviest guitar I own. I got it in about 2005 or 2006. So it could have been made a year or 2 earlier than that because the guy at the guitar store said it had been there a while. Solid alder body, maple neck, walnut skunk stripe, rosewood fretboard, Floyd-Rose locking trem.

I'd love to pick up an Explorer style guitar next. But its got to have the Floyd and the Jackson or Kramer style headstock.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  9. Shock Therapy

Shock Therapy Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2016
    n.cntrl il
    Heritage guitars have been made in the old Gibson factory in Kalamazoo for a lot of years, they’re probably better then new Gibson’s by a long shot.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  10. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    The new Dean was delivered today. Had it sent to my wife's work so the FedEx guy wouldn't wake me up. I sooooo don't wanna go to work now so I can play it lol.

Shock Therapy and AModelCat Thank this.
  11. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.