Why I won't buy another Freightliner

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by OldeSkool, Jan 6, 2020.

1. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    So i've always felt like Freightliner was great as a starter truck and maybe for big fleets who don't care about their drivers. I guess I still feel that way after owning a Century for 2 years. In response to the age old argument of whether a Pete or KW is worth the extra money, i'm listing my reasons for not buying another Freightliner. Please feel free to add your thoughts.

1. Doors are poorly made. They rattle and mirrors are constantly breaking. If you don't believe this, look on eBay at used mirrors. All you can find is the passenger side. They also are drafty even after replacing door seals.

2. Dashes and interior are made poorly. I have so many new rattles in this truck, I use super glue to fix the many plastic pieces that break and rattle.

3. Hoods are poor quality. The headlights and grille have all broken and have very nearly fallen completely off going down the road. Also plan on the hood cracking out where your hood mirrors go.

3. The suspension is lighter and not as many components causing it to be weaker and cause more problems. I am continuously chasing pops and thumps in the suspension.

4. They are not good looking.

5. The cup holders are the same poor design for the last 20 years that dumps your coffee cup out.

6. The steering wheels do not tilt low enough or come near enough to comfortably drive. Also the cab is so big and wide it does not fit me comfortably. The door is so far away from the seat I can't rest my arm on the window seal on nice days with the window down.

7. Difficult to work on. The motor is shoved so far under the firewall and low in the frame lots of the parts are hard to get to. Also it sit so low its tight getting under the truck to change oil and grease it.

Now, is a Kenworth or Peterbilt better or worse than this? What are some good/bad points on them?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    They all have there good and bad points . Also every model is different then the rest. Saying a freightliner in not any good is perty vague. Some models are better then others. Comparing a long hood classic to a Columbia for eg. Two totally different things.
    If a guy was to sum it up in a Coles notes version freightliner has always been the cheaper and usually lightest truck on the market. The FLD and COE (except argosy) were there best trucks made but sadly there gone.
    Pete and KW have some perty crappy areo models too.

4. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2019
    Sub par materials make a sub par driving experience.
    Pretty much says it all...

5. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Ok let it begin.
    1,2,3, come mostly from the owner ,due to poor maintance.
    4 is subjective.
    5 I will give ya that one. They are to large, thier made for a thermos. (Putting a roll of tape inside fixed problem?
    6 is a personal problem. There made to fit the average sized person. So if one is extra large, skinny, tall, or short. That problem can arise, however will most likely have in any make and model.
    7 again subjective and somewhat of a trade off, in order to made the rear if engine more accessible. The design changes needed would make it a pete 379

6. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    thing too is that they are ALL built on an assembly line for mass production. an o/o's is also built on an assembly line, but from what i recall, they are then removed and built to specs of the new single owner, rather than a fleet.
    so more time is taken for fit and finish...unless that too, has changed, for the benefit of the manufacturer, rather than the customer.

Rideandrepair, OldeSkool and 201 Thank this.
  7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I will disagree on the suspension. Maybe the wimpy 38k lb version doesn't hold up well but many folks run the 46k/69k lb versions on their Stars in the bush and don't have many issues. I like the simplicity. 4 bushings per axle. Can rebush it in a few hours.

PE_T, Rideandrepair, Dino soar and 7 others Thank this.
  8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    You forgot the biggest problem with Frightliner [sic], they have the crummiest dealer network. Who doesn't stock an a/c condenser in the summer, or a heater core in the winter? Terrible, and for the record, Freightliner, is a throw away truck. They do the job, for a while, but the idea is, they need to sell new trucks, not fix the old ones, and corners must be cut. I'm not sure new Pete's or KW's are any better, really.

9. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I must have only good cascadia ever built .
    788k on it now and tight as new along with very few problems that dont come with any other make .
    Maybe it's because I maintain it well and dont pound the snot out of it .

10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I drove a '99 Century for a guy, great truck, Detroit, 890K and never opened up, rode like a Cadillac, BUT, little things, almost daily. Steering wheel tilt broke, wiper linkage let go, cruise quit, a/c condenser( in summer), heater core( in winter, that's how I know) door locks jammed, drivers door window and on and on. Freightliner doors never seemed like they were closed either.:dontknow: They make great company trucks,,:biggrin_25523:

11. Snow Monster

Snow Monster Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2019
    FL always had crappy doors and interiors.

I drove a brand new FL COE from 1978 to1981, had 26 km/s on the odometer when I got it.
    After that I swore I would never drive another one and never did.

As you will be told I'm sure, a big hood makes it easier to service the truck, lots of room to work.

I suggest you take your FL and go look at all the trucks that may interest you, open the hoods and do a proper A B comparison.
    You should see immediately the differences under the hoods between your FL and, a W-9 for instance.
    You could party in the W-9 engine bay, pay particular attention to detail, hoses and fittings, wiring and connectors, their quality, and particularly the bundling, routing and protection of hoses, wiring and plumbing.
    Slam the doors, fiddle with everything, take them for a test drive and take notes.

If it's an aero truck you want then do the same thing.
    For appearance, aside from the classics, I've grown fond of the Pete 567 Heritage.
    Might be a decent compromise between a classic big hood and an aero truck.

Who knows, you might come home with a Lonestar or a Western Star and be a super star in a large car, or a tourist in a Vole Vo motorhome.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.