Why I'm going to be "solar powered" from now on.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by ExOTR, Dec 7, 2016.

1. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I was local for years, just went back to driving regional/OTR a few months ago. I always preferred running at night-less congestion, less construction delays, less scales being open etc.
    But going forward, screw that.... I'm running dawn to dusk.
    Why?
    Because of all the new "drivers" that tailgate me with their hi-beams on, people who trade out standard low beams with what I can only assume is the essence of a freaking supernova, and people who decide that flashing their brights at me is better than keying up a mic.
    So yea, I'm tired of my retinas getting burned out. So I'm officially solar powered.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sublime

Sublime Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN
    I feel your pain driva. I run mostly nights and deal with the same crap.

What's with all the new cars running around with their highbeams on all the time too? Bunch of brain dead aholes out there.

4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Running reefer, we can have some wide-ranging schedules and sometimes have to shift time schedules around, but also being a mostly coast to coast runner, I can generally run most of the time, on my preferred schedule.

I prefer running between 04:00 to 16:00 if/where/when I can. But winter time and up north, you're going to be driving a lot in the dark, regardless. I'm seeing a lot of those dam LED lights too that for all intents and purposes behave like regular high-beams in many cases. Then there's the busted hoods with lights jiggling up and down creating a strobe light effect. Then there's the sleepy drivers weaving from from lane to lane.

bzinger and ExOTR Thank this.
  5. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Yeah, being a vampire was and is fun, but I'm getting to the point of wanting to become solar powered as well. My biggest reason is simply that I'd like to have a more normal life. To be able to sit with the wife and kids in the evening and do family type things, eat supper with them and not be rushed. Stuff like that.

I definitely hear ya on the light thing. Some of these clowns out here take it a bit too far with these lights that will burn your retinas

dca, ExOTR and Mike2633 Thank this.
  6. rbrtwbstr

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    And another thing I hate is these emergency vehicles with these ultra bright lights. I'm all for them being able to do their job safely, but when their lights blind oncoming traffic, how safe is that?

7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I was behind a contractors' truck in Salisbury today with warning lights on the back of it like that. It was cloudy, but they were so bright I had to put my sunglasses on.

KillingTime and ExOTR Thank this.
  8. little cat 500

little cat 500 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Abbottstown PA
    i run night an day sleep on the week end

cumminskid123 Thanks this.
  9. rbrtwbstr

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere

I guess they serve their purpose. It really does force you to slow way down, especially on a rainy night.

10. s0231198

s0231198 Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2008
    I would agree with you about being brain dead, but I also think some of it might come down to them letting there vehicles do the thinking for them. I know on my pickup it has an option to automatically turn on high beams at night till it detects lights coming towards you, now there is several conditions that don't allow it to automatically dim their high beams, and they have to do it themselves, and we know how much thinking people do while driving anymore!! I found it one day while actually looking through the owner's manual, I know what man does that! but I was looking for something and saw that and thought it was one of the dumbest things, needless to say it is not turned on mine.

ExOTR Thanks this.
  11. cumminskid123

cumminskid123 Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Manitoba, Canada
    plenty of time to sleep when your dead ;-)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.