WhY Is Fiber Such A Menace To Your Health?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Wargames, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    bender Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cuzzin it

cuzzin it Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    i wonder what they have to back up those claims ? i'm on high fiber diet, 2/3 vegetable 1/3 fruit and grain 5 days a week. No irritable bowel, sexual dysfunction, etc. In fact only real change is i don't read as much in the bathroom anymore :Rocket: i've feel better than i have during the last 10 years

Wargames Thanks this.
  4. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    You'd have to buy the book to find out what they have to back up those claims. My basic philosophy is everything in moderation, don't deny a craving (but don't over do that craving either), and avoid the really bad stuff as much as possible (trans-fats, etc). There are certain convenience/processed foods that I have a hard time passing on, but most of our meals are from scratch, and veggies fresh as often as I can get them. The only issues I have had have pretty much all been related to my lower back problem, and now that that issue is fixed, the other issues I had are going away now too. All these books and fad diets are just designed to make someone money, so I don't trust them.

Wargames and cuzzin it Thank this.
  5. cuzzin it

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    If they did not cite anything to back up the claims on the website, i doubt the book does either
    Like that adage....if it looks like duck poo smells like duck poo and a duck was seen in the area, you can make a rough guess about what it is.....

Lilbit Thanks this.
  6. KateL

KateL Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Clovis, New Mexico
    Well, the Dr. Did say that normal amounts of fiber from "real" unprocessed food is not the problem. The problem is eating these super fiber foods like the high fiber cereals and Physillium powder. AS far as that goes, I believe him.

He also cited a lot of studies backing him up, so it is not like he had no proof.

Wargames Thanks this.
  7. cuzzin it

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    You've read the book ?

8. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    And to start it off by just saying 'Fiber Menace' leads one to believe that all fiber is bad for one. They are just trying to capitalize on something that should be common sense. But . . . common sense isn't so common anymore.

Wargames and bullhaulerswife Thank this.
  9. KateL

KateL Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Clovis, New Mexico
    He said all that in the video, and there were slides of sources that he used. I have read a dozen or so books on diet, and the message I have received is that woody stems of plants and chaff is not really meant to be human food, unless you are starving. Horses and cows have stomachs that can deal with it because they are ruminants & have 7 stomachs. I am against eating anything like grain, corn even beans because it just goes against what the gastro-intestinal system naturally does. I'm not saying we are obligate carnivores, but we should eat a small amount of vegetables and fruit.

10. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Horses only have one stomach and cows only have 4 . . . not 7. From someone who grew up in the country on a farm, I know this for fact.

Grains, corn and beans are all natural foods that have been part of our diets for thousands and even tens of thousands of years. Fruits and vegetables are suppose to be a normal part of our diet.

cuzzin it and gdyupgal Thank this.
  11. cuzzin it

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    And the majority of the diet. That's why carnivores have shorter intestines and humans do not

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.