Why is it OK to send drivers to unsafe places not meant for trucks

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DAX_, Apr 22, 2019.

1. DAX_

DAX_ Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2017
    These company's are so adamant on the drivers not doing anything unsafe like parking on the shoulder, going down a wrong street etc but it's perfectly ok to send us to shippers and receivers with barely enough room for a bicycle to maneuver around safely

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Its about money , shipper and recievers is where the company gets paid, where as a shoulder or off ramp or going down truck restricted road , is going to cost them alot of money if something happens... I got lost yesterday in indiana, i was trying to get to us20 from indiana 15 , 15 went down this little tiny town and it had an impossible turn to make it in the truck to get to 20 so i kept going and found a road that was big enough to turn and it looked i could get back to highway from there, man i tell ya !!! The top of my truck was a couple inches from every single power line, i had to make this tight left turn i had to turn in this poor ######## corner of his front yard to get around the brand new stop sign that looked like they have replaced 100 times for all the poor ######## before me that took that same route... Never again.... Me and amish country have never been friends .... It aint a successful day of trucking if ya havent puckered ya butthole atleast once

4. booley

booley Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2008
    You have to understand that some of these places were built when everyone was driving cabovers and dragging 40 ft trailers around (which were considered BIG)
    oh, I just noticed, is @D.Tibbitt in a cabover?

SuperRookie, sevenmph and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  5. DAX_

DAX_ Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I understand that. That's still no excuse. The low bridges in Chicago were made during a certain time period top, that still doesn't mean we can crash into them and get away with it

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  6. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I thought I saw him on a 20 mule team wagon? :)
    The low bridges in Chicago were made for Swift. :biggrin_2559:

TravR1, 77fib77, Scottyotty1 and 4 others Thank this.
  7. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    They send you there to make you a better driver.

8. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I was on I-70 once when the interstate washed out, so all traffic had to detour up threoug the mountains. The cb was a buzz with, what are they trying to do to us, this road was never meant for trucks, etc, etc. lol I finally mentioned if anyone had noticed the mines we had passed, the road was strictly built for trucks. lol
    As usual it could not have gone smooth either, With all the interstate traffic we were down to probably 10 mph average or less, then a Swift ran out of fuel right in the middle of a switchback curve, blocking both lanes. lol

I am lucky, I love roads like that, and saw some scenery, I would have never seen otherwise.

9. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Dispatch: hey I looked it up on google maps. The picture had trucks there!

10. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Now if you want some fun? Drive a class 8 through Queens NY on Jamaica Blvd. I cant imagine why my hair went from brown to white on that trip

11. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I would say that most of the times, the dispatchers or the company doesn’t know how bad it is. Even satellite images or street view isn’t enough.

My previous company doesn’t allow u-turns, but there was this receiver near San Diego, CA where you needed to bust a u-turn on a public road to get into the entrance. It was a dead-end street that was divided by a curb in the center of the road up until the dead-end.

DAX_, D.Tibbitt and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.