Why is it so hard to find a company who has this

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by peterbilt_2005, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Disclaimer:
    Im not looking for a job, I want to know why drivers are so easy to accept what is offered and complain later. This is for guys who are Changing jobs, veterans who know a thing or two.

I happen to call a company to inquire as to what they offer. (And no I'm not going to bag on this trucking company)

Why wouldn't a driver want an acceptable vehicle. I'm no going to say a brand (Pete , KW, Western Star or Volvo or the rest.)

Let's start with the equipment you will be in 24/7

1. No Bendix brake alert system
    I don't need the truck stopping for me, that's why I'm a professional driver.

2 no inward or company dash cam
    Why do I need more electronic items in the vehicle I drive. I have a dash cam.

3. No automatic transmission
    Refer to #1. I'm a professional driver, this was a huge separation for truck drivers and car drivers. Need we say more.

4. No supersingles
    Do I look like I'm a car? I'm 80k lbs not a Honda Accord.

5. No lane alert system
    I'm a professional driver, but everyone will drift in your lane. Heck wind can move you. Why keep buzzing in my ear.

6. Allergic to synthetic cow piss
    Not even gonna touch this one. Don't start. Think (money pit)

7. No apps to be installed on my cell phone to request updates every second.
    I am a professional call me I'll tell you where I am. I'm an adult not some teenagers left at home, who needs a check in 40 times a day.

Must have
    8. Power inverter.
    Come on it's a couple hundred bucks you want your driver to be in a good mood and save a buck as well as time. Power a refrigerator, coffee maker or microwave if ya want to save a buck.

9. Fuel card
    Don't snow me saying I can't get diesel, if you want it delivered. Don't tell me I can only get 50 gallons. And limit where I can go. We only have a few places compared to gasoline stations.

10. Dispatcher who knows what and where cabbage grade is. I want an experienced guy on the phone.

11. Dispater must be older than the boots I own.
    I don't want some kid to say " it don't snow in Arizona!"

10. Dispatcher who knows how to get information on pickups and drop locations. (Hours of shipping/receiving, contact name and phone number. po# or pickup number, weight of product shipped.) Refer to #10

What else would you want with in reason. No 31" tv or PS4 game system. Come on your driving a truck. Not a guest room.

stwik, plankton, Oldironfan and 7 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    To answer your question a stripper pole?

4. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
  5. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    I’m currently voluntarily driving the oldest truck at our terminal because it’s a manual, has no DEF tank, and none of that Bendix junk. It also runs 71 mph while the rest top out at 67-68. No tugs of war passing other trucks...

Just wish it had a better radio or at least a CD player instead of a cassette ;)

6. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    drivers tend to "nod off" or have "micro-sleeps" while driving, those items you mentioned can save his life and the life of others.

the automatics have been said to give better fuel mileage, and lessen the strain on our left knee.

the cow piss you mention is for emissions, heck even today's cars have had emissions control devices for decades. AND diesel powered passenger vehicles use cow piss as well.

a dispatcher is still a person, yes, it would be great if a semi-retired trucker were a dispatcher, but you know what.?? i twice applied to be one, wanna know what i was asked..??

"are you a college grad"?

"of course not, i am school of hard knocks grad"

"sorry, we cannot use you".....

a power inverter would be nice, all company installed, but not all drivers live in their trucks for long periods of time, like maybe you do, they get home.

i have a fuel card, as well as others, that have no limits on fueling. some companies want you to only put in a minimum of fuel in some states, if only to not get whacked with an estimated tax for miles not even run in that state.

as far as apps on a phone, i have a simple flip phone, it takes no apps. they can have qualcomm or provide me with a phone, but even pizza delivery and furniture delivery and UBER drivers have such apps, to know where they are for the next delivery ETA to the customer.

i see no problems with that.

either that, or work dedicated like i do, go out, deliver, come back, all at night work...simple.

no one bothers me.

if you ain't looking for a job, all of these things, should be of NO CONCERN for you.

a job is a job...period.

they got rules, you don;t like them..??

buy your own truck.

7. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    old school? then a cab over with a 8 track.

Samuelh, striker, Oldironfan and 3 others Thank this.
  8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    [​IMG]

I’d rather talk to a fence post then try and reason with this mentality displayed in the OP

9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    I don't need power steering, I'm a professional.
    I don't need abs, I'm a professional.
    I don't need more than a coffin sleeper, I'm a professional.
    I don't need ....

I hope you see how absurd all you listed is. I could go point by point on why each item doesn't reduce your ##### sze, but I won't.

10. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    What you have a problem with somebody who actually knows how to drive not wanting all the little electric babysitter baloney?

11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Then go buy your own dam truck and stop telling truck owners and employers how to run their business! then everybody will be happy.

06driver, 12 ga, Woodys and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.