Why is JB Hunt switching to Peoplenet from Qualcom?

Discussion in 'JB Hunt' started by A Bug, Jun 28, 2014.

1. A Bug

A Bug Heavy Load Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Sevierville TN
    I have used them both and I prefer Qualcom a lot more. It is just a whole lot faster and easier to use.

I have recently been told that I am going to be giving Qualcom up for a Peoplenet unit they are putting in all trucks shortly.

Just like a government bureaucracy, JB Hunt is forcing something that I do not want.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cabwrecker

cabwrecker The clutch wrecker

Mar 23, 2012
    Wow, they're probably doing this just to save a bit of money.

Little do they know, they're only gonna piss more drivers off.

Peoplenet sucks, JB's gonna find this out. Why didn't they just try it out on a specific fleet for a little while instead of going fleetwide all at once?

4. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Peoplenet is a PITA. Period.

cabwrecker Thanks this.
  5. DustyRoad

DustyRoad Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico

Considering the size of JB's Fleet and how many units are active, it is certainly to the advantage of the bottom line profitability....even if it means change. Change is not always a bad thing if it can save a company 3 million dollars a year at the expense of a few drivers personal preference. Sure, there will be some reluctance by some drivers to change (can't teach an old dog new tricks?). However, as the next generation of new drivers go to work for JB...it will be a given that this is the only system they'll know accept reality without negative opinion. Humans are adaptable creatures....we can get used to just about anything given enough reason. No one is forcing drivers to stay at JB' just becasue they institute a new OBER...there will always be fresh meat waiting to take those valuable driving jobs.

Peoplenet has partnered with others to do more than Qualcomm communication.... see link

http://www.peoplenetonline.com/integration-partners

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  6. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    During my time at Heartland Express I used Peoplenet and found it very easy to use. Alot smaller and easier to handle. No complaints here.

alds Thanks this.
  7. Gordon A

Gordon A Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2013
    I have a friend that has People Net and it often tells the company he is a couple of states away or at least 50 miles from where he logged his stop and bought fuel.
    Saving money on thousands of pc of equipment is a worth while savings. Some changes would never happen at JB if the old man was still running it. some of his trailers have tracking in them too. It all adds up to a neater bottom line. I resist change especially when I am lied to about it's uses and intentions.

alds and Mike2633 Thank this.
  8. Gordon A

Gordon A Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2013
    Years ago JB Hunt was using IBM tracking / info systems. NO Logging to it, we were still trusted as drivers. Loved that system as it had a battery and you could take in to the customer with you to let them see why you were a day late( company changed it) or how the load was dispatched to you late and when. Now they are tethered to the truck.

9. cabwrecker

cabwrecker The clutch wrecker

Mar 23, 2012
    Have you ever use a peoplenet system? It sucks. I've had Blu. Blu basic and Blu2.
    They all suck. Anyone that's used it will back that up.

Peoplenet is the worst of the worst, and JB's switching to it for the sake of profit, will sacrifice communication and productivity. Two very important things in the logistics game.

I really don't give half a ####, their loss is the rest of ours gains.

Sorry JB drivers- but you're gonna get screwed. Dim them screens!

Let me know how much you care about the bottom line, when you're trying to get your trip routing, or simply communicate with your DM/FM/DC. Try receiving emails in the Moave or most of the South West for that matter. The best bit about it, is that you can yank the power and data line from the back of the unit under your bunk, idle without being penalized and get a good nights rest without it beeping at you all night for one reason or another.
    I'm not against EORB's, I am against a piece of #### parading around like it's a business solution.

Mike2633 and nredfor88 Thank this.
  10. skibum_63

skibum_63 Road Train Member

Oct 12, 2007
    somewhere, USA
    why don't you ask some one in management?

11. Ebola Guy

Ebola Guy Heavy Load Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Manitowoc, WI
    When a large company makes a huge change such as going from Qualcomm PeopleNet, it can only be one of two things, A) Qualcomm raised their rates or B) PeopleNet underbid Qualcomm.

JB is a huge company that is established in its ways and does not embrace change very much or very often. So whatever the dollar amount is, I am sure it is a seriously significant amount.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.