Why not check with safety before wasting someone’s time with everything else first?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by TMNTFan4Life, Jun 1, 2024.

1. TMNTFan4Life

TMNTFan4Life Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2020
    Recently had a company waste an entire week of my time thinking I had a new job. Listed all my accidents on my application. Brought in for an interview & road test. Went over everything in detail. Told it wasn’t a problem because I have been driving for an over a year accident/ticket free. Did drug test & new physical, let them see clearinghouse, filled out a bunch of pre-employment paperwork including singing an offer letter, all of that. Then right before I was ready to start heading home in the truck I’m driving now to turn it in someone from HR sent me a an email asking me to explain the accident again & if I’d been fired from the company I worked for at the time. Mind you I had already put all this on the application & went into detail at the interview about it. I detailed it again & she said she’d have to send it to “safety & transportation” for review. Within an hour she said “after review we’ve decided to not move further with the hiring process”. I came very close to turning in my truck & quitting my current job. Which would have left me jobless & literally no job prospects in this market with my accident. It honestly makes me not want to bother looking for anything else. Just hard to support anyone with 1500 miles weekly out here. I just don’t understand why safety isn’t the first one contacted before a person is even brought in. Especially with complete transparency on the application. I didn’t hide anything. Everyone’s time could have been saved.

Zonno, MACK E-6, hotrod1653 and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Did that company call your current employer?

Bud A. Thanks this.
  4. TMNTFan4Life

Oct 27, 2020
    I don’t think so because they requested a w2 & last pay stuff to verify my employment here.

5. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Simple answer, insurance. You may test great interview great and so on. But if they like what they see and pay to bounce that application to insurance or if the company is self insured to safety. And either of them come back and say no or the quote to insure you is so high its not worth the cosy. Welp your not going to get hired.

Further its also posible they had multiple people apply for a single or limited positions and it came down to which of you applicants was a better candidate. And if the other guy was simular but it came down to the safety record and yours was worse.... sorry your not getting hired unless your the only choice.

6. TMNTFan4Life

Oct 27, 2020
    That makes sense. But what doesn’t is why not just ask insurance or safety from the start after the interview. In addition to listing everything on the application it asked for my consent to run background checks. Maybe stop there & see if they can hire me instead of all the extra stuff. Offer letters, paperwork, drug test/physical, all that. Doesn’t the drug test & physical cost the company? Can’t imagine the urgent care does that for free.

7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

So a trucking company has to pay to have their insurance carrier approve a driver? I know other background checks cost money. My experience was as a company driver and buying my own car insurance.

8. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
  9. TMNTFan4Life

Oct 27, 2020
    Thank you I filled out the contact thing on the page. I’ll pretty much do anything but literally no one will touch me except where I’m at now,

10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Did you try this one?
    Driver Pulse by Tenstreet
    You’ll unlock access to a plethora of features including personalized job searches, mobile onboarding, streamlined communication with carriers, truck-specific route planning, fuel …

11. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    What happened here is, the app came across someone's desk that is hard nosed. It went through all the necessary channels & people but somehow, someone with a strict attitude or a shirt & tie, know-it-all "I'm smarter than everyone else", unexpectedly run across your paperwork & was in a position to cause a stink & ruin everyone's day.
    These companies go through the hiring & firing process enough that they aint gonna spend all that time & money (expense) to get someone that far into being hired only for it to get flagged by someone who normally looks at paperwork. Your app just happen to fall out of the stack by Jim Bob, the super safety hero's desk or some executive VP of "when you have nothing else to contribute" & he seen something he shouldn't have even been a part of & ruined everyone's day.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2024
    Speed_Drums, Bud A., 5UG and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.