Why Pay for Health Insurance?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Biscuit75, Dec 29, 2011.

1. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

Insurance companies do control what doctors do when it comes to your healthcare. A primary difference between private insurance companies and Obamacare is that Obamacare will create another huge bureaucracy that taxpayers will need to fund. I don't think we can afford to give Obamacare a chance. We have already seen premiums go up from private insurance companies. When people are forced to buy something then rates will go up. That is what has been happening since Obamacare was announced or passed.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Explain the major increases of over 50% each year since 2000 that I have been paying prior to Obama Care. By the way, the premiums under the threat of Obamacare were only 38% increase.

The insurance industry is far more limiting than they wrote in Washington.

I fear capitalistic medical ruling more than a government interest.

4. cpttuttle

cpttuttle Medium Load Member

Oct 20, 2011
    altoona,pa
    insurance rates went up for the same reason if someone farts in the middle east,fuel shoots up 50 cents a gallon.because they can!!!i hope the cbo is right and it saves money,while others hope and pray it fails.

G/MAN Thanks this.
  5. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    Thank God for our Medicare in Canada.

16 Years ago I was in the Hospital 5 days because of Open heart surgery.

My cost was Nil, nothing not a dime. My insurance costs at the time were $42. a month for my wife and I.

Roadmedic and Biscuit75 Thank this.
  6. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

I guess you didn't hear what Obama stated early on in the process about limiting healthcare to older citizens? He seems to want to limit availability of healthcare to older citizens. Have you considered the cost of administration to a national healthcare system? The government doesn't do anything efficiently other than find creative ways in which to further tax us. Obamacare will be no different. Obama's administration has already given exemptions to several companies including McDonald's. I believe that Walmart also received an exemption. If they cannot afford to pay for healthcare for their employee's, then how do you think small companies can afford to pay? If companies are forced to provide health insurance to all employees then you can expect that money to come from higher wages. I would expect workers to be paid lower wages in order for the companies to be able to afford the insurance premiums. Nothing is free. You can expect that we will all pay a hefty price for health insurance. As always, it will be the middle class who will be paying for the bulk of the costs associated with national healthcare. The poor will receive exemptions along with many major corporations. This extra cost will also be a deterrent to companies wanting to expand or locate in this country. I would also expect some companies to fold up and move outside the country to avoid this additional tax.

How do you know that the bill is better than that of the private sector? Have you read the bill? If so, you are one of the few. This bill is over 2,800 pages long. There are a number of things in the bill that we are only beginning to see revealed.

Stoney Thanks this.
  7. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

Insurance premiums have gone up significantly over the years. Much of it likely has to do with greed. However, what has never been addressed are some of the real costs of higher premiums. Litigation and government requirements or mandates are a major cost of higher medical costs. Even if a hospital or physician wins a lawsuit they are still liable for thousands of dollars in legal fees. Juries and judges have given unreasonable judgments to plaintiffs in medical related lawsuits. Many tests are performed by healthcare providers that may not be necessary in order to protect themselves in case of a lawsuit. Someone pays for this protection and it is the insurance companies. Those costs are passed along to policy holders. Healthcare providers are forced to add personnel to collect and maintain unnecessary paperwork for the government. All of these costs must be paid by someone.

Stoney Thanks this.
  8. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

Don't you also pay a value added tax for your healthcare in Canada?

Stoney Thanks this.
  9. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
  10. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    My pharmacy just calls the doctor's office and they o.k. renewal over the phone . No charge .
    I got remarried 6 months ago though and my wife asked if the doctor was accepting new patients . They will only accept new patients that are on Medicare .

11. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

Taxpayers pick up the bill for the difference. With the high costs today, consumers will need to pay more than $30-40/month for their insurance coverage. These governments like to make citizens think they are getting something for free, or almost free. In reality, the citizens pay a token amount and then pay an extra "tax" for the balance of the costs. It may be somewhat hidden from view, but there is a cost for providing services. The government likes to try and convince citizens that they can provide health coverage for less cost than private enterprise. That isn't the case.

I agree that private insurance companies should cover pre existing conditions. That is one of the selling points that the government has used to push their agenda. You won't hear about the true costs of providing health coverage to the entire nation. Obama made statements about the only way this could work is if every business and individual was forced to participate. He then gave exemptions to a number of major contributors, such as McDonald's.

The government likes to hide that they throw more taxes at us by calling the tax something other than a tax, such as a user fee rather than a tax. Most of the countries that have had government insurance are broke and trying to get out of the healthcare business. They have found that they cannot afford it.

I understand about having someone in the family who is ill. My wife has had serious health problems for a number of years. She has had two extensive hospital stays the last several months. As I write this she is back in the hospital after being out for about 2 weeks. Before that she spent 4 weeks in the hospital. Before that stay she had a couple of weeks between a previous stay of 7 weeks. I am very thankful that she has good health insurance. My wife is not likely to get much better. I hope that we can keep our insurance because with her health conditions she is uninsurable. Under Obamacare, she could have her coverage limited due to her age and great need for healthcare assistance.

Stoney Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.