Why people fear wearing a mask...

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Pumpkin Oval Head, May 6, 2020.

1. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    Change is hard for many people. Smokers hated being told they could not smoke indoors at restaurants, bars, malls, movies, airplanes, etc. But now they pretty much comply 100%. Masks protect your health just like like not breathing second hand smoke. Here is to your health!
    6214A2A8-5F0B-4C40-A605-53D49C0212AF.png FE9CC7BC-6FFC-444F-AE5C-5C414B5A29C4.png

bentstrider83, Cat sdp and BackwoodsGA Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PoleCrusher

PoleCrusher Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    Or maybe it's because we don't want to make ourselves sick. The disinformation regarding masks is incredible.

T.Rucker, Opus, Badmon and 12 others Thank this.
  4. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    I love the fear in the mask wearers eyes as they look at me without one :Do_O

Lite bug, T.Rucker, jason6541 and 30 others Thank this.
  5. FLtoOKBound

FLtoOKBound Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    West Central, FL
    how in the world do you think a mask makes you sick? The mask is to keep you from making someone else sick. SMH

Troy_, Tb0n3, gentleroger and 3 others Thank this.
  6. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Makes you want to exaggerate a good throat clearing cough don't it.

Lite bug, Coffey, LoSt_AgAiN and 8 others Thank this.
  7. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    I went to Walmart yesterday and now I know how Moses felt when the waters parted.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    To me a mask does not filter out virus particles. And essentially takes away oxygen saturation just a little bit. Enough to make a difference closer to 92% on room air. I usually pulse ox at 95 without. At 89 or less I am not doing well. Thats why I don't smoke or go above 8000 feet for very long anymore.

I am too old to be intimidated by a virus. Ive survived way too much and understand that at some point death will come for me in some way. In my situation it would be a form of freedom from this wrecked body.

I do carry the N95 mask and wear it in known dirty public places to show that I can fit in. But its strictly for show and to limit outbursts, fear or trouble among others. There are like 9 of 10 people at my age group or older who simply do not give a #### about masks if they can get them at all. So there is that.

I have pondered the situation where if you are with a lover and both of you wear masks... why? Apparently some people are engaged in that extreme level of protection. Also I am working on a antibody test that is availible in Arkansas now to the public to see if I am positive to go with the symptoms I am already picking up on. I presume thats my immunity working on it. So I stay 6 feet from those who are not family and essentially make sure I am not running a temperature when I go out which does happen in inflammation storms that happen a few times a month. We are working on medicine for that but its in process of being diagnosed. I have plans for many things, But pared them back quite a bit. For example Bowling and Range shooting as well as the local hobby scene is still on the books. And medical trauma gunshot training class as well. That will be a 5 hour course with everyone just so far apart and masked for all of our sakes. I'll make myself useful.

But the big stuff? Thats out.

The Covid has been a financial issue and something that we feel pretty not bothered about. Its bad yes. But I fall back onto the family stories and history through the 50's Pandemic, the spanish flu after WW1 (Sourced in Kansas, and named Spanish after accurate media reporting came from spain while everyone else spun disinformation) I caught the spanish flu new years day. I do have pernomia immunity shots (Bacterial) MMR Booster at 50 and keep up the flu shots which failed me this winter with that illness. The spanish H1n1 totally blew past the current flu shot and hit me hard. Took me 7 weeks to get back to full power. The third week was important as it attacked my brain.

Ex has all her military marine shots for life including malaria and other fancy global stuff. Every time they turn around they jabbed her with something particularly desert storm. So shes immune to everything. So that is useful as a caregiver etc. She actually fought off my spanish flu infection fortunately testing revealed that she did not catch it but fought it off. So thats good. Particularly as it will kill her mother who has end of life issues in her body and no immunity whatsoever. One sniffle from any of us will kill her in a week. If anyone is isolated she is. She will out live us all. Some people are like that.

As far as change demanded by society or certain actions by governors gone wild. Or whatever it be. I assess the executive order and if I deem it's proper and accept it then great. I'll be a good boy and behave according. If our Governor got drunk with power and started throwing out the bill of rights and our constitution at fed and state levels then most of us will set him straight fast enough. They cannot jail 2 million disobedient. Not with 1000 sick in prisons and increasing at a horrible rate without decent medical care or compassionate release.

We are into the second wave. The killing has picked up fast. I actually am getting querys on two graves we own on the west coast already. That probably will be a finished sale for us sometime by summer. Price is no object to those buyers. They want graves and they want it now. Ive been offered a grave on the east coast for me but I already explained that one of my relatives is a sex offender and I simply cannot consider it. So they will dispose of it to someone who can use it. It has no value to the family at that point. (We buried that one 10 feet on purpose. As far down the backhoe will reach after a 5 minute funeral. THUMP)

As far as the hospital situation we are 3400 infected, 2000 recovered, 80 in hospital to covid, 35 or so on vent sometimes only 20. One prisoner in a negative pressure room at prison medical in pine bluff. I think we lost 80 as of today in real time. (Includes USA Numbers which is already 73000 plus up from 65000 yesterday.

With this second wave we expect infections to take off at a horrible rate. However we are in combat in public places. Churches are open, some businesses like barbers etc will open. Bowling alleys are open 18th and stadiums open soon. But some businesses are going to have to limit souls and that limits their income. The big malls have opened last week. But no one is buying. Its essentially a zone where you can get out of the house see your people and exercise and catch up on gossip etc.

Doctors are empty. Four of my regular doctors have had maybe 4 patients in the last 4 weeks. They are out of money. SO they put the clinics up for sale and getting the hell out. One of them is my primary care. Hes gone asap. NO one is going to a doctor without a VERY good reason. And not for more common killing problems like heart problems, TB and other common stuff like cancer etc. They are staying home to ride it out and die at home if need be. They consider all hospitals hellholes right now. IF they go to a hospital or doctor, they will fear isolation and cut off from their care givers or family. One vet has stopped her ambulance membership and would not go to the VA, she will die at home. Arrangements have already been made in that day sometime in the future. Until the Vaccine is built and distributed to everyone and everything reopens more or less.

Changes? hell yes. But... I am waiting for Society to decide if they will behave and fight well or they degenerate into anarchy and murder. We arlready have murder here in Arkansas going on now as I write this. A knifer in one town took three people out and then went after his jailers. They got him locked down proper. Hes not going anywhere. when the courts open up sometime.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=AR+Covid+death

jason6541 Thanks this.
  9. Lyle H

Lyle H Heavy Load Member

Apr 16, 2014
    Watch someone wearing a mask.
    They are constantly touching it and adjusting it because it’s uncomfortable.
    Touching your face like that increases your risk to infect yourself.
    And it may give you a false sense of security about how safe you are.

10. Just passing by

Just passing by Heavy Load Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    I wear a mask for those around me. Since there are no tests for blue collar folk like myself, I don't know if I am infected or not. So, I am minimizing the spread of my "coodies".

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    Tb0n3, gentleroger, alds and 7 others Thank this.
  11. FLtoOKBound

FLtoOKBound Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    West Central, FL
    I can understand your point. There are some that feel it is protecting them. But of course not unless it is N95 or better. Most understand it is to keep you from spreading it farther. The Orient has this understanding. All the people in China/Japan that you see wearing masks are doing it for two reasons. Either they are sick and trying to avoid spreading it. Or due to the pollution.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted