WHY PRIME, INC FOR NEW COMPANY DRIVERS...

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by truadvocate, Jun 10, 2018.

1. truadvocate

truadvocate Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2018
    3 weeks out with trainer to practice for CDL--truck runs solo... $200/week food stipend paid back at $25/week once second phase begins.

2nd Phase: 4 months team driving... $700/week guarantee--trainer may kick in additional if s/he chooses in appreciation for exceptionally well run weeks and most usually do.

Upgrade to your own brand new truck... 43 cents/mile (brand new driver with no experience outside of training) plus 5 cents/mile bonus if choosing to drive single sleeper plus fuel mileage bonus between 1.7 cents/mile (7.75 avg mpg) and 8.2 cents/mile (10.75 avg mpg). 8 avg mpg is the minimum contracted goal for 2.4 cents/mile. Most drivers make 5 - 7 cents/mile (9 - 10 avg mpg).

So straight out of training at Prime in a brand new truck at...

.43 + .05 + .05 = .53/mile for an average of 2500 miles/wk = $1,325

Stayfor one year and your school is paid off. Of you don't stay...? I've not heard of Prime, like some other places, going after people who leave before the year is up.

Yes, Prime company trucks are governed at 58 on the floor, 62 cruise in order to get the fuel mileage bonus, but...

Think about it like this...

You and a faster truck go to the same. customers. They may get there before you, but that just means they are waiting longer to dock for the same appointment time.

They may even get 500 our so more miles per week than you, but is it at .53/mile.

Um... NO in most cases.

Besides...

The only time a Prime truck is "dangerous" at its slow speeds is when it is out of the "granny" lane. So most of them stay over there for this reason, but when you see them outside of that lane it is most likely because they were letting someone on and the wouldn't let them back in.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    Reason for edit: Error
    NoBigHurry Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Coover

Coover Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2016
    Cool where do I sign the fleece papers!!!

4. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Don’t forget the really cool stickers they let you put on your truck. Classy stuff.

5. hagarcobra

hagarcobra Medium Load Member

May 24, 2013
    I need me some stick-on lightning bolts.

6. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Paw prints are pretty cool too.

7. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    I don't think I've ever seen a prime in the granny, always blocking the lane left of the granny.

mhyn and RedRover Thank this.
  8. Maxgussam

Maxgussam Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2005
    I guess that Prime never runs 2 lane roads and blocks everything up?

I sure wish that Prime would stay the hell off of the 2 lanes that I run!

9. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I would like to know what engine and hp, and axle ratio uses to get 10mpg. Because that is hard to do I've tried driving 54mph before.

10. Coover

Coover Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2016
    Probably 2.73, detuned to 200hp.

Oh and it's highly unlikely to achieve, unless you're driving in Kansas hauling sailboat fuel @55mph , but don't tell the newbs this. All they hear is "Bonus" while they are starting a parade behind them.

Dave_in_AZ, Oldironfan and RedRover Thank this.
  11. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    LOL

Maj. Jackhole and RedRover Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.