Why so many crooks?

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Bumpy, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    MY QUESTION IS THIS,I AM CURRENTLY A OUT OF WORK TRUCKER,(FLATBEDDER)AND I HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR 5 YEARS.I WROTE A THREAD ON TIM FLANIGAN OF WADENA,MN,AND NO MATTER WHAT YOU THINK OF THAT POST,HE HAS LET HIS 25 COMPANY DRIVERS GO AND IS GOING TO ONLY KEEP THE OWNER OPS HE HAS....THAT,OF COURSE,IS NOT THE PROBLEM. I AM LOOKING FOR A FLATBED JOB,AND TALKED TO A MAN ON THE PHONE WHO SAID HE HAD A GREAT 3 YEAR OLD FREIGHTLINER READY TO ROLL AND HE WANTED ME UP TO NEW YORK MILLS,MN FOR A DRUG TEST THIS LAST MONDAY.WHEN I ARRIVED,THE TRUCK WAS BEING TORE APART(CRANKCASE)IT WAS 10 YEARS OLD,AND FILTHY,I MEAN FILTHY ON THE INSIDE WITH THE PREVIOUS DRIVERS GEAR STILL IN IT.(HE QUIT AFTER ONE WEEK)I REMOVED ALL HIS THINGS,AND WAS JUST ABOUT TO THROW IN MY GEAR WHEN THE OWNER OF THE TRUCK SHOWED UP AND TOLD ME HE WANTED ME TO PICK UP A LOAD ON THAT DAY IN THE TWIN CITIES FOR NEW MEXICO,TAKE MY DRUG TEST WHILE OTR,TURN IN MY RECIEPTS WHEN I RETURN,3-5 WEEKS,AND HE WOULD THEN PAY ME A ESTIMATE OF WHAT HE THOUGHT HE WOULD OWE ME,-BUT HE WOULD NOT TAKE STATE OR FED TAXES OUT,AND WOULD HAVE TO APPROVE ALL FIXING WHILE OTR. ALL THIS BEING SAID IN 3-5 MINUTES,I WANTED TO ASK HIM QUESTIONS,BUT HE SAID HE HAD TO LEAVE AND WAS GONE,TOLD ME TO GIVE HIM A CALL FROM CELL WHILE OTR.MY QUESTION IS,DOES THIS SOUND JUST A LITTLE BIT FISHY TO ANY OF YOU READING THIS?I MEAN,THE GUY DID NOT EVEN ASK TO SEE MY LICENSE!!!!I DO NOT CARE FOR THE ENDLESS RULES AND REGS,BUT IF I HAD A TRUCK TO BE DRIVEN,FOR SURE I WOULD CHECK OUT THE DRIVERS CREDENTIALS!HOW CAN SO MANY SHADY CHARECTERS BE ALLOWED TO STAY IN BUSINESS?UNTIL I STARTED TRUCKING,I THOUGHT I USED TO BE ONE OF THE BAD GUYS,AT LEAST NOW I KNOW IT AINT SO!:biggrin_2554:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LandShark

LandShark Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Riverdale, Ga
    how many RED flags do you see here in your own post???? I am a gambling man and I would be willing to bet you that when you do get back you will have some very serious problems collecting your pay...if it hasnt allready all been "advanced" out to you...I am just saying...you have seen the flags now weather or not you pay attention to them is ALL ON YOU...Me I would turnaround and go back home..

4. broncrider

broncrider Road Train Member

i agree with landshark, i would turn and run away, way too many flags!

and turn the caps lock off...........

5. chief

chief Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Flavor Country, NC
    "BUT HE WOULD NOT TAKE STATE OR FED TAXES OUT"

that would send me on my way right there. that's the old "work a company employee as an 'independent contractor' scam and not pay the social security taxes and unemployment insurance we're obligated to pay for him."

6. ampm wayne

ampm wayne Heavy Load Member

Jan 13, 2009
    bloomington,in
    I would go back home. I would like to know why the last driver only lasted one week. The truck owner is either desperate or stupid either way I would not get involved.

7. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    Thanx for the imput,bros- i am not insecure by nature,but lately have been second guessing myself as we all know how tough it is out there now...but #### if i am going to put time in with one of these bandits that seem to be all around.... Drive safe and see ya on the interstate soon!!!

8. Tran Man

Tran Man Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Ohio
    Danger, Will Robinson...DANGER

You will not be paid, and you will spend your money.
    I'm not a truck driver, but I worked construction for 18 yrs.
    This guy sounds just like those customers, that never paid me.

Either way..God's speed, not yours.

9. ran260

ran260 Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2009
    calhoun/ga
    man i would have run away from that about halfway through that talk

10. Red Fox

Red Fox Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Acworth, Ga.
    Since he never saw your DL, you shoulda just took the truck closer to home and caught a bus the rest of the way. That dude is a CON from the git-go.
    And turn off the caps unless you wanna yell at us, hey?

11. american

american Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Springfield, IL
    I've been in the bus. since '99 & I had a problem with JABI Trucking, a flatbed co. out of Oakville, IA. Not sure where they are now as the Miss. River took the whole town downstream 07/08. Anyway, the guy is a chiseling jerk. I took him to court but had gotten bad advice from a lawyer in Davenport, IA who claimed in the phone book to specialize in labor law. When I said that in court the magistrate laughed and said he knew him and that he isn't a labor law expert. Anyway, my advice is, "If you see red flags don't ignore them. Start planning your exit strategy pronto. And if that means packing and leaving right then and there do it." I didn't and it cost me what I figured to be 1000's of $'s, not to mention the time I spent fighting the jerk. It's a hell of lot easier to avoid the mess than clean it up later.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.