Why won't somebody give me an insurance quote

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by AndrewW, May 12, 2020.

1. AndrewW

AndrewW Bobtail Member

May 8, 2020
    Truck/Trailer Ram 3500 and 40ft flatbed.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chubby Fly

Chubby Fly Medium Load Member

Nov 25, 2019
    Its all who you know. Maybe someone you know will give you their agents phone number? It is crazy out there, LAst may some old bag about 90 years old ran into the side of my very beautiful 379 pete failing to merge in a construction zone in philly. it was like a 5 mph side swipe. She argued with me but she was declared at fault. No ambulance and no injuries obviously. Then in december months later she got the bright idea probably from those cdl accident lawyers to try and sue me for mediacal expenses. Total fraud but yeah, im still dealing with that nonsense.

LoneRanger and Deere hunter Thank this.
  4. whoopNride

whoopNride Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Miss.

Did she try to sue you personally? Or your insurance company?

5. Chubby Fly

Chubby Fly Medium Load Member

Nov 25, 2019
    insurance company so far. My agent told to just let him know right away if i get anythig in the mail.

whoopNride Thanks this.
  6. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    There's more to the story here.

What did they say their criteria is? They must have told you something. Some agents don't even deal with "for hire" commercial truck insurance. What commodities did you say you were going to haul? How long and how much experience do you have with your CDL A ? What is your credit score?

You don't normally need to already have a DOT #, but you will usually need to have a truck, or at least have a VIN of one, for them to give you a quote.

Usually Progressive will take on newbies or others considered by them to be high risk, but you will be looking at extremely high rates. Maybe contact OOIDA and see what they say...

7. Wespipes

Wespipes Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2019
    Yes. A dot # is required to get a quote. Otherwise they're just guessing

Lite bug Thanks this.
  8. AndrewW

AndrewW Bobtail Member

May 8, 2020
    We went over a list of questions he had. I told him I'd be hauling freight, cars, equipment on a 40ft flatbed trailer with a Ram 3500. I already own the truck and he didn't ask for the year, make, model or VIN. He asked for a DOT number which I do not have yet. Did not ask me any other personnel information regarding CDL #, SSN, address, anything... I don't have any experience with a CDL yet, but we didn't even get that far in the questions. Great credit score but again, we didn't get that far.

His tone changed drastically when he asked about the DOT # which got me thinking I might need to have one in order to even get a quote. Then, a couple short questions later, he advised he didn't have a package for me.

Since this, I've got a couple other phone calls out to different agents. 2 of them said they'd send me a packet to fill out which I'm assuming is all the pertinent information to quote me.

Andrew

9. Wespipes

Jul 14, 2019
    Typically it takes like 10 days to get a quote back. I got my authority about 6 months ago. I had to get a dot # before I could get a quote

Lite bug Thanks this.
  10. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    It shouldn't take 10 days. I got/get quotes within 24 hours.

clausland and Chubby Fly Thank this.
  11. Wespipes

Jul 14, 2019
    Now yes. New authority takes longer

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.