Why would anyone stick with OTR instead of getting a local gig

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ThisisMeUsee, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Gatorgrl

Gatorgrl Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2018
    SWFL
    I currently live in the town I was born in and I don't know /or see anyone I went to school with, all of my family has already moved away from me and I am not the most social butterfly. I have a few close friends that I will miss, but they are not worth staying in this God forsaken place and living a miserable existence, just to keep their company. Harsh? yes, but that's the reality of it. We all have but one life to live, I intend on making mine the best it can be and I want to travel. You are obviously from a smaller town and GREAT for you. I am from a larger city and it is very isolating. When I am finished working and am truly retired, then I want to settle in a small town, where I will get to know people and recognize them at the Piggly Wiggly. :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Milwaukee.

4. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    I couldn't stand bouncing around in a day cab doing the same route everyday.

I look over at those guys getting beat to death sitting straight Up like their in a church pew licking the windshield listening to their am radio.

And say to myself. Not for double the money.

As I am reclined back in my Legacy seat jamming to my 12 speaker 1500 watt stereo system while I have some dinner from the night before warming in the convection oven for my next stop.

Plus I love jumping in the bunk for an hour or 2 when I need it.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  5. Fuelinmyveins

Fuelinmyveins Medium Load Member

Nov 13, 2017
    PA
    :D

tommymonza Thanks this.
  6. tommymonza

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Great pictures. I just started delivering milk in March. One of my early runs was to Darlington Wisconsin. Dreary day but I knew it would be spectacular come summer.

Boy it did not disappoint as I rolled through the hills just as the sun was setting.

Views like that make you feel sorry for the Poor Schmucks in their office jobs.

7. tommymonza

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    I’m home every other night but I have been living in the truck all summer. Friends I was staying with are 40 minutes away but because of construction traffic it became an hour plus.

So hence moved into the truck. I keep my boat at the yard and Lake Michigan is only 20 minutes away from it.

I get every Friday and Saturday off and 3 day weekends at my request.

My dispatch is super flexible as long as you do your job.

Going to miss this place when I leave.

tucker Thanks this.
  8. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    When I graduated high school I couldn’t wait to leave home. I left Murdo SD the day after graduation and went to Raton NM. Then it was Bend OR. Then Winnemucca NV. Then Las Vegas. Then Missoula MT. Then back home for a few miserable years. Then back to Missoula. And now I’m in Waimea HI. There is no way I could ever be happy living within 20 miles of my hometown. Yes I could live there, yes I could raise cattle and drive truck and make a living, but no way in hell I’d actually be happy. I tried it. I tried going back because of a relationship I was in. She had a romantic picture of how small town SD would be. And when it didn’t work out I split. People need to travel and explore and learn new ways of doing things. Staying close to home would not do our society well at all.

9. malinorn

malinorn Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2010
    NC
    Go regional, it's home every other day or 2, home time full 2-3 days a week, 2800 - 3200 miles/wk. I talked to a local driver in the same company, he complained that we get more quality hometime than he does. By the time he gets home, showers, eats, etc. he has 7 hours to sleep before heading out again.

10. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    I like what you say cause you say it as it is that's what i'm like too i call a spade a spade hope you find somewhere good too.

Gatorgrl Thanks this.
  11. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    today i started work at 6am and was done by 2:30pm, it was a $200 day..... and one of the farmers gave me an extra $20 to move a 53' van trailer for them. i was there dropping off an empty they do live loading. so i made $220 for less then 8 hours. as long as i have this route, walton milk hauling will have me as a driver for the route. im not even looking at other jobs, it doesn't get much better. not only that but they just assigned me a really nice 2017 T880 day cab with an 18 speed manual (no automatic). im not going anywhere.

tommymonza Thanks this.
  12. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    No.

Personal experience.

I'm glad it works for you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.