Widow Files Lawsuit Against CBBT

Discussion in 'Other News' started by mjd4277, Jan 27, 2020.

1. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. K_R

K_R Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2020
    Watched the news video report on it and found this post. I just can't help but wonder if more could've been done to prevent it.

I'm looking at the side rails and wonder if it were built two feet higher, would it have kept or minimize the risk of it turning over into the water? Commercial trucks traveling on side rails that looks like noodle strings? Granted metals nowadays can be compacted and strengthened to be quite strong but it's old so all we can wonder is if they had any plans to strengthen it. If not, I'd imagine that can be a factor in the case.

I also wonder if a plow shovel shaped infrastructure were built along the bottom half of the bridge on one or both sides where strong winds are common would it create enough disruption on the top side where trucks travel to break up the wind from the upwards force?

All this technology and we can't invent something like sensors to measure force against the side of the trailer as a warning system for drivers to maneuver accordingly. Obviously wouldn't help in this case but it might in others.

Anyways my condolences to the wife and family. It seems she has a strong case. I want to gather as much info as I can when it comes to these death related incidents. Truckers be safe out there.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    JC1971 Thanks this.
  4. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    Would a railing of any height keep a 80,000 Lb truck from breaking through and going over the side? Maybe you would have to have one inch or more thick steel-reinforced concrete to keep a truck from breaking through. Expensive for a 15-mile-long bridge.

K_R Thanks this.
  5. K_R

K_R Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2020
    I agree. I just edited to add that the strength of the steel would be a factor. Probably would be extremely expensive to manufacture for a project like this.

JC1971 Thanks this.
  6. K_R

K_R Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2020
    By the way in the video I updated my post with, I'm not sure if any experienced drivers could chime in on this but is it true? Winds are so strong that you're literally fighting the wheel and experiencing pain in the hands?

"His hands were hurting from gripping the steering wheel so tight.."

7. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    I'm a carhauler, so we take far more side loads in wind than anyone else. That said, even the strongest winds take minimal strength with today's power steering. The variability of the side force will wear you out, just from moving the wheel so much, but hands hurting from gripping is from anxiety.

Doealex, IH Truck Guy, Tb0n3 and 3 others Thank this.
  8. K_R

K_R Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2020
    Makes sense. Hearing that comment from the news report makes me think either they're in a really old truck or didn't perform pre-trip.

9. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    If they would have built a solid tube across instead of a bridge, then winds would not be a factor.

10. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Not necessarily the case. All the power steering in the world doesn’t matter if the wind is strong enough to blow a truck over. Sometimes the weight of the truck plays a role. Right now I’m passing thru Wyoming,where at this time of the year there are crosswinds in excess of 60 mph. More than enough to layover a truck that’s lightly loaded (payload less than 40,000 pounds).

K_R Thanks this.
  11. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    If im not mistaken, I remember that guy had 18000 of seafood on his trailer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.